What are your personal "standard" extreme metal bands??

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If this would be a conversation eligible for the GMD forum, please move it, as this would be interesting to see people's personal opinions on this.

My question is basically exactly what the thread title states; "What are your personal "standard" extreme metal bands??"

What I mean by this is simple; just name your top 10-15 or so favorite bands in extreme metal which you feel are the most important for everyone to listen to. Everyone's answers will inevitably be very different. For example I'm sure we can all agree that Morbid Angel is an important death metal band & they are "technically" a standard, however just because they're historically a standard doesn't mean that it's a standard by your standards. There may be bands that you feel capture the essence of death metal much more efficiently, therefore you consider them more important to listen to than the given band.

Stay close to extreme metal & try not to go with bands that are just too obvious.

venom
slayer/exodus/dark angel
sep/vulcano/sarcofago/all that superb brazilian shit
possessed/early death
hellhammer/early frost
master/deathstrike
autopsy
bathory
sodom/kreator/destruction
razor/slaughter/sacrifice
morbid angel
carcass
beherit
burzum/immortal/darkthrone/mayhem
necromantia/varathron/rotting christ
grave/at the gates/therion
demigod/demilich
fleshcrawl
asphyx
cathedral/winter/dream death
sacramentum
suffocation/gorguts/immolation
incantation
atheist/pestilence
graveland
the chasm
summoning

not even 1% of an exhaustive list but one which i think encompasses everything that makes extreme metal great, and includes many of the most influential, seminal bands. i'll add stuff like enslaved, early emperor, entombed, dismember, gorgoroth etcetc here 'cause whilst i'm not a big fan they have a huge reputation. (i'm also aware that my groupings aren't always indicative of similarities in sound, just trying to make it look shorter and tidier ;))

what's extreme metal? ...they never used that word when I was a youngen.

Pretty much stuff besides progressive metal, core stuff, & such. Wainds definitely came correct.

It's the extreme bands you personally think that everyone should listen to. It doesn't have to be the obvious bands, but it probably shouldn't be the most obscure bands you can think of either.