Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Exodus

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Jeff Waters

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Andreas Kisser

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
You have to remember that we are talking about lead guitar players. Marty is the Richie Sambora of metal (in a good way); never technically the best, but he always plays the right solo for the song. That's what a great lead player does.

no no, stormchaser says differently so it must not be true. Sepultura is considered thrash metal to him but not Pantera :lol:

You're a penis.
If you said to most random metal fans "My favourite thrash band is Pantera" they'd think you were smoking the shit stains off your underwear again.
Pantera were great, Dimebag was a fucking legend, but....why are you derailing the thread by being a total cock again?
Someone of your age should (and I'm fucking certain DOES) understand where I was coming from listing the bands I did. Those bands (including Sepultura) released THE defining thrash albums, Beneath The Remains and Arise being two of those. Someone of your age should also have better things to do than be a grumpy, moaning cunt in every thread posted on here. You're 50 right? Fifty years of sucking fucking lemons and chewing nettles all channeled into this forum and my fucking retina.
Cunt! o_O

You're a penis.
If you said to most random metal fans "My favourite thrash band is Pantera" they'd think you were smoking the shit stains off your underwear again.
Pantera were great, Dimebag was a fucking legend, but....why are you derailing the thread by being a total cock again?
Someone of your age should (and I'm fucking certain DOES) understand where I was coming from listing the bands I did. Those bands (including Sepultura) released THE defining thrash albums, Beneath The Remains and Arise being two of those. Someone of your age should also have better things to do than be a grumpy, moaning cunt in every thread posted on here. You're 50 right? Fifty years of sucking fucking lemons and chewing nettles all channeled into this forum and my fucking retina.
Cunt! o_O

My favorite thrash band is Sepultura? Sepultura has some thrash components but also some death, speed, and other styles of metal involved with them. They are far from a 'pure' thrash metal band.

Pantera might not be a 'pure' thrash metal band. But by definition they are just as much thrash as Sepultura. So no need to have a heart attack, You can just admit when you are wrong. There is nothing wrong with that. Pantera's Cowboys From Hell is a thrash album for the most part right? So Sepultura has 2 thash albums as you say. So whats the difference?

Can't we all just say it's METAL???? JFC!

Well yes, they are all metal. But we are speaking about Thrash Metal in this subject. And more specifically thrash metal guitarists.

If we were just speaking about metal you could also put bands like dio and black sabbath in this category.

The fun thing about metal is debating about it. If there are no debates it's boring. All it does is prove that metal heads are in general passionate about what they are into. That translates to debates and fights. It's all good

Thrash metal is a subgenre of heavy metal that is characterized by its fast tempo and aggression. Thrash metal songs typically use fast, percussive and low-register guitar riffs, overlaid with shredding-style lead work

sounds alot like pantera to me,although pantera is much greater than that term

TWO WORDS: FUCKING HOSTILE!!!!!

Well yes, they are all metal. But we are speaking about Thrash Metal in this subject. And more specifically thrash metal guitarists.

If we were just speaking about metal you could also put bands like dio and black sabbath in this category.

The fun thing about metal is debating about it. If there are no debates it's boring. All it does is prove that metal heads are in general passionate about what they are into. That translates to debates and fights. It's all good

Greatest lead guitar players? I don't think so.

I voted for Hammett. Whilst he's some way down the list in terms of technical brilliance (Friedman, Waters, and Skolnick all smoke him without a doubt) Hammett has written for mine, the largest amount of memorable and amazing leads on 4 absolute classic thrash records - waaay more than anyone else on the list. As I say Friedman is amazing, but fact of the matter - he only ever played on one thrash record - as amazing as it is. For sheer number of classic leads on classic thrash material, Hammett imo is head and shoulders above anyne else on the list. My 2 cents.

Some of Friedman's solo stuff could be classed as thrash, but yeah, you make good points. Hammett ruined his reputation in the past two decades, but he was awesome in the early days.

Andreas is absolutely an underrated guitar player, I think Ian and I voted for him :) Dan,Kirk and Marty are all great...I have to agree with Stormwatch, Sepultura is thrash metal band,I don't think Pantera is classified as thrash metal, ok ok we all know they were great and hard,but not thrash.
And 1 more thing, Testament is the fifth thrash metal band and Exodus,Sepultura,Overkill...Iced Earth?????

I really like Chris Broderick from Megadeth ... I have seen some you tubes of him playing some classical stuff - brilliant guitarist.

Andreas is absolutely an underrated guitar player, I think Ian and I voted for him :) Dan,Kirk and Marty are all great...I have to agree with Stormwatch, Sepultura is thrash metal band,I don't think Pantera is classified as thrash metal, ok ok we all know they were great and hard,but not thrash.
And 1 more thing, Testament is the fifth thrash metal band and Exodus,Sepultura,Overkill...Iced Earth?????

Andreas was brilliant on Beneath The Remains and Arise. Not quite sure what has happened to him since. He just completely changed his style of playing which is a shame. He is now pretty much doing double duties as a rhythm and lead guitar player being that Max was able to handle most of the rhythm parts while Sepultura was still together.

I voted for Hammett. Whilst he's some way down the list in terms of technical brilliance (Friedman, Waters, and Skolnick all smoke him without a doubt) Hammett has written for mine, the largest amount of memorable and amazing leads on 4 absolute classic thrash records - waaay more than anyone else on the list. As I say Friedman is amazing, but fact of the matter - he only ever played on one thrash record - as amazing as it is. For sheer number of classic leads on classic thrash material, Hammett imo is head and shoulders above anyne else on the list. My 2 cents.

well said,i cant stand how people say hes not a great guitar player.