Greetings / Gap?

For me that gap is at 4:52 :D I take it then you are new to prog metal as well? In that case, you are in for a treat :) Yeah, I thought of Band Of Brothers when I saw your nick as well, great series.

Are Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh touring with the band?
Walsh has been with the band since he reformed the band in 1986. Livgren wrote all 10 tracks for the band's last studio album, Somewhere to Elsewhere, in 2000. He performed on the album, but does not tour, except for an occasional appearance when the band plays near Topeka, and one appearance in Pittsburgh in 2004 (I think 2004). I was at that show. Great show! Robby Steinhardt rejoined in 1995 and retired in 2005 or 2006. That's a shame, because Robby is a great showman, and was the best singer in the band at the time. He was replaced by David Ragsdale, who was also a member of the band from 1991 to 1995.

They play live as a 5-piece, with Walsh singing lead and playing all the keyboards, Ragsdale on violin and guitar, Rich Williams on guitar, Billy Greer on bass and vocals, and Phil Ehart on drums.

Kansas hit a new peak in 2000 after the release of their album, and toured as the opening act for Yes. Now that, my friends, was a show! Kansas was on fire, and Yes sounded terrific, playing their Masterworks setlist. It would have been perfect if Rick Wakeman had been there instead of Yes' Russian keyboardist, Chester the Molester (I saw them just a few weeks before Chester was arrested for sexually assaulting a female venue security guard, and subsequently booted from Yes forever.)

Meanwhile, back in Kansas... Kansas seemed poised at that point to regain some of their former glory, but it never really materialized. I last saw them in 2006. Nowadays, they still sound good musically, but Walsh's voice is very strained. Plus, most of them are nearing 60, so the energy isn't there anymore. It's doubtful that they will release any new material. Livgren is busy with Proto Kaw, and Walsh said he can't write Kansas material anymore.

Welcome to the forum, Bill. You'll want to check out "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "Twilight in Olympus." Both contain one big epic song which you'll love if you like The Odyssey.
You know, that's great news too. I still haven't listened to V, because I can't stop listening to The Odyssey, and the title track in particular. Hey, do you think it's too late to change my screen name to "Triumphant Champion of Ithaca?" :lol:

For me that gap is at 4:52 :D I take it then you are new to prog metal as well? In that case, you are in for a treat :)
I guess so. I'm not new to prog in general. As far as prog metal, I always considered a lot of Iron Maiden's material prog, personally. But as far as pure prog metal, then yes, I'd have to say I'm new. Basically, my three all-time favorites are Iron Maiden, Kansas, and Yes. I've been listening to all of these bands since I was a kid.

Not to change the subject too much, but Iced Earth - are they considered prog metal? I bought Night of the Stormrider, but I was disappointed. Not disappointed because it's not prog, (I like plenty of non-prog music, both metal and non-metal, too) but I just didn't like it very much. What do most fans consider to be Iced Earth's best album, if I wanted to give it another chance?

Iced Earth is an interesting band that has evolved over the years...I wouldn't say they are prog, but recent albums definitely have progressive elements. Night Of The Stormrider is by far their thrashiest album, featuring a singer that only appears on that album. I would actually suggest listening to the most recent two albums (Framing Armageddon, The Crucible Of Man) for their "proggy" stuff (featuring choirs, world instruments, etc.)...they comprise a double album (released a year apart) based on a cool sci-fi fantasy story created by songwriter Jon Schaffer. You'll also get exposure to two different vocalists...Framing Armageddon features Tim Owens, former Judas Priest singer and is seen on two IE albums...and The Crucible Of Man sees longtime IE vocalist Matt Barlow return to the band, to the delight of many longtime fans. Hope that helps somewhat ;)

If you're looking for a symphonic touch, the 30 minute epic Gettysburg Trilogy is a must...each song respresents a day of the bloodiest battle ever waged on US soil...this is at the end of The Glorious Burden album.

Something wicked this way comes is definitely their best album.
Why do you think that is their best? What do you like about it?

And now back to Symphony X: Does Russ Allen play any instruments when the band performs live? And, on the studio albums, how do they produce all the orchestral sounds? Is it all done from keyboards? Because parts of The Odyssey really do sound like an orchestra, with real horns, strings, etc.

And now back to Symphony X: Does Russ Allen play any instruments when the band performs live? And, on the studio albums, how do they produce all the orchestral sounds? Is it all done from keyboards? Because parts of The Odyssey really do sound like an orchestra, with real horns, strings, etc.

- Allen doesn't play any instruments when they perform live (Although he can).

- Orchestral sounds are done using computer programs and samples from The Odyssey onwards. Earlier they were more or less just synth sounds.

Orchestral sounds are done using computer programs and samples from The Odyssey onwards.
Ah, so many questions! Can anyone explain the mechanics of how that is actually done? Take the song The Odyssey for example. There's that orchestral part near the end, right before the "triumphant champion of Ithaca" part. There are horn and string sounds in there. So, do they program the keyboard to sound like a horn, and then play the part on the keyboard, like you'd play a piano or organ? Or are they someone just putting the notes into a computer program, and letting the computer play it? And last, how do they reproduce those parts when they play live?

I think Romeo is "putting the notes into a computer program" as he composes the stuff. When he introduces the new material to the band they probably decide what the main melodies are and in which way they are executed while performing live.

It's kind of both of those. Good guesses!

A person can play the notes on a keyboard which uses samples to generate the sound of the stringed instrument. For example, I want to play violin, so I load a database of violin files, which are recorded from a real violinist. Each of these files is a single note, often played with a certain style. Pressing the keyboard key says "I want the computer to play a G# violin trill" and it looks for and plays that file. Advanced software can hold the note, modify it, etc.

The other option is to bypass the keyboard and simply write the music in software notation, after which the computer uses the same process to generate the sound. In a live setting, either one is available - the former at the hands of the keyboardist, and the latter as a tape track.

These databases are known variously as VSTs, software synths, or libraries.

I think Romeo is "putting the notes into a computer program" as he composes the stuff. When he introduces the new material to the band they probably decide what the main melodies are and in which way they are executed while performing live.
Ok, that makes sense, since the orchestrations are usually credited to him only. I'll bet professional, classical musicians hate this kind of technology. I mean, a talented individual could literally conduct his own symphony this way!

It's kind of both of those. Good guesses!

A person can play the notes on a keyboard which uses samples to generate the sound of the stringed instrument. For example, I want to play violin, so I load a database of violin files, which are recorded from a real violinist. Each of these files is a single note, often played with a certain style. Pressing the keyboard key says "I want the computer to play a G# violin trill" and it looks for and plays that file. Advanced software can hold the note, modify it, etc.

The other option is to bypass the keyboard and simply write the music in software notation, after which the computer uses the same process to generate the sound. In a live setting, either one is available - the former at the hands of the keyboardist, and the latter as a tape track.

These databases are known variously as VSTs, software synths, or libraries.
Great descriptions, even I can understand, thanks! :lol:

So here's my next question: who here has seen SX perform live? How do they sound live? What kind of venues do they normally play in? Tell us about the show(s)!