Greetings / Gap?

wild bill guarnere

Champion of Ithaca
Aug 28, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello all, from a new Symphony X fan! My daughter's boyfriend recommended Paradise Lost to me a few weeks back and I've really been enjoying it. My first reaction was -- where has this band been all of my life! I have since bought Odyssey as well. I'm really looking forward to listening to their whole back catalog.

Anyway, here's my question. At about 4:39 of the song Domination, there is an odd gap in the music - it's a silence that lasts about one second. It doesn't sound like it belongs there. My CD surface looks clean. Did I get a bad CD, or is that gap supposed to be there? I bought the CD from Amazon.com. My apologies if this has already been asked, but the search engine would not let me search on the word "gap" -- it's too short.

Welcome to the forums! When I finally got on the internet around 96-97, I discovered a TON of bands that I would have never heard of. Your reaction was the same as mine, and rest assured, there is NO bad Symphony cd. Their debut takes a lot of heat from the fanbase, but it's still a good disc, in my opinion. Enjoy!

I'll check on that track a bit later from work, unless ABQ beats me to it...

Edit: Cool, a 5150 post! :heh:

You mean the gap after the middle section after which the song goes back to verse riff? Yes, it is supposed to be there. Listen it carefully, you can hear that it's meant to build up like that.

At about 4:39 of the song Domination, there is an odd gap in the music - it's a silence that lasts about one second.
Actually, I think I got that wrong - it's more like at 4:49 of the song. I listened again, and it just doesn't sound right. It sounds more like a normal gap between songs than the band stopping for a beat and then starting back up.

Actually, I think I got that wrong - it's more like at 4:49 of the song. I listened again, and it just doesn't sound right. It sounds more like a normal gap between songs than the band stopping for a beat and then starting back up.

Yeah, I also noticed that it's more like 4.49, but anyway, it's definetly supposed to be there. It's supposed build up the start of the next verse I guess. You can tell it's meant to be there by the "whoosh" sound that comes before the gap.

The gap definitely is supposed to be there. The guys wanted to add an effect of tension I guess.

wild bill guarnere... ww2 vet, yeah? he was awesome in band of brothers.

Have you noticed the thud during the guitar solo? :D

Gap or no gap, man, these guys are good!

I have Paradise Lost and The Odyssey so far. V: The New Mythology Suite is on the way (Amazon Prime + 1-click shopping is dangerous!) So far, I like Odyssey a little more I think. Which album(s) is/are generally considered their best by "most" fans? Or is there no general consensus?

I think fan favourites are most often Divine Wings and V. The Odyssey is also pretty popular and the title song is a favourite of many. But if you're like me, you'll find Twilight In Olympus awesome too.

The second album, Damnation Game is also worth listening The first one, maybe not.

Yay! Welcome! That gap is awsome and like everyone have said, it's definitely suppose to be there. My opinion of the best album is maybe The Odyssey or V. Love DWOT of course, but I don't think it's THAT great. (...waiting to get beaten from everyone here...)