Random CD

Benzine

.flaps
Jun 13, 2003
Waltham-on-the-wolds, England
Has anyone ever gone into a music shop and bought a random CD by an group/artist you've never even heard of? I did in a massive HMV in portsmouth and i bought Symphony X - The Odyssey. I just wandered along the rows of music and picked it up out of the thousands of CDs there and thought "hmm looks interesting , i'll buy it" How lucky was that! :D Its my favourite album ever. I loved the album so much i went to see them live at the electric ballroom with Stratovarius, Sym X were awesome and i went to see them even though they weren't the main act. I bought another random CD another time but it was awful :D

So has anyone else bought a random CD and got lucky? :)

P.s i need to buy more symphony X!

I never buy random CDs because of my lack of money and there are already too many records by bands I love that I want. But that's amazing that you discovered SX that way. It's like winning a million on the lottery or something.

that is really lucky! to get into symphony x like that

i have never done that..but i buy cd's by listening to them on the headphones station sometimes

i almost did something similar
my sister and i were at the record store and she was like "acco...its time for you to get into some new music..no?" and we started looking at stuff i was gonna pick something impulsively like you did

i got closest to buying blind guardian. we looked at it and she was like "hmmm...could be cool. no wait. i bet its cheesy" (cause you know they love to be cheesy)

big mistake cause i missed their concert by 2 months! then i heard them cause my freind had recorded NIME on an edguy cassette i borrowed..
i didn't know who they were i thought it was more edguy..and then i randomly started reading tolkien....found out a few months later that i was reading about what i was listening to. it was so eeire because it was like..the music made me crave those books unconsciously

I've bought many used cds like that. One that sticks in mind is something I got years ago in '97. A cd called "Awake". It took a few months but it grew on me (those are the albums that I always love the most). From then on I was one of those crazy DT fans and my life was changed. :tickled: John Petrucci reminded me of exactly what I wanted to be as a guitarist.

Yeah, a few days ago i bought a witchery cd (restless & dead) only because sharlee d'angelo is in the band and i love sharlee... he's awesome. So i bought it knowing nothing about the band other than that and it just kicked my ass.

I rememer buying megadeth album (Youthanasia, my first self bough't one!!!) because a cousin had it... and then Images and words...
Luck I kissed my cousins butt so much :loco::):p

That is so cool that you found Symphony X that way. Now you won't believe what is coming when you get the other CDs!!!! Don't wait too long!

I have bought CDs in bargain bins this way (cool cover, etc.) but I think I have never really been thrilled about any of them.

That's kinda how I got into Star One. My brother told me that Russell was in it and I freaked out, but was like, "Space Metal? What the hell is that???" :err: I don't like astronomy, I find it quite boring, so I thought it would be really cheesy, but Lift Off hooked me right away. Spacey keyboard sounds are actually pretty cool, and now I'm interested in Arjen's other projects.

Metal Chick, Arjen's other projects are INCREDIBLY VARIED!!! For instance, Into The Electric Castle is one of my least favorite albums i own, where as flight of the migrator is one of the albums i want to buy most at the moment. If you listen to one and think it's shit, try to keep an open mind to his other stuff... and for god's sake LISTEN TO DAWN OF A MILLION SOULS!!! Russ's BEST work hands down. And romeo's best solo.

God ya'll are making me jealous :(...
Yeah the idea of futuristic metal (and star trekkie stuff) i dont go for.. but anything with Russ on i MUST OWN.. i dled a few of star one's songs from kazaa..theres one with russ (well theyre all with russ i think..lol) and the song and lyrics are cheesy, but his voice is so incredible.. i listen to it just to hear him..i am dying to get the set, i need to figure out a way to start buying online. And i havent found any dawn of a million souls on kazaa yet..but i will keep trying..

Also, i have been buying a lot of stuff on recommendation from a local cd store worker who knkows his metal. i also bought dragonforce and some other stuff i can't remember at the moment.

The Metal Chick said:
Spacey keyboard sounds are actually pretty cool, and now I'm interested in Arjen's other projects.

Ayreon does not sound very much like "Space Metal". As much as I've heard from him, that's his best sounding album. The others are too messy for my taste so you might be in for a disapointment. I know I was, not a major one but slightly. The "Live on Earth" versions kick more ass than the originals will ever do. And Bruce Dickinson sucks (sorry). I think Russell sings better on the live version of "Dawn..." btw.

My favorite of the Ayreon records is "Flight of the Migrator". But it wasn't as good as I thought it would be after hearing Star One.

Just my opinion.

ayreon are cool. arjen is pretty original. i would say he is inspired a lot by old school science fiction movies and shows. even in the music. it reminds me of the doctor who era a lot. many moog synths and stuff

i like into the electric castle and the dream sequencer a LOT more than flight of the migrator
flight...is lousy heavy metal (sorry)
electric castle, dream sequencer and star one are all really original and atmospheric, and sound good for what they are (mellower prog rock. well "space metal" is metal, but he got the riffs right this time!)
those albums have a lot of cool moods that i've never heard before but inspire a lot of images and such. that is my favorite thing about symphony x too..some songs like "the accolade", "on the breath of poseidon", communion and the oracle, and "TDWoT" make a lot of cool sensations come to mind

i like it when music inspires sensations that go beyond words or your every day experience, or even reality, but you are so certain of exactly what the feeling is. i feel like flight of the migrator lost that...
and what electric castle lacks in other things, it makes up for in mood

star one has an amazing case of stereo...he panned the tracks very carefully and made some cool patches that pan on their own. listening with headphones is great

has anybody listened to his other project called AMBEON? i think there is a 15 year old girl singing or something like that...
how is it?

I have the ambeon cd and it's worth pickign up to see what a 15 year old girl can do... for her age her voice is superb.
As for electric castle, i couldn't disagree more. Well, let me rephrase that, as well as have you realize i am not picking on you or anything. If you read along to the lyrics of ITEC, the music doesn't line up. At points of desparation, dark times, the music is very upbeat and cheerful. no, those may be the wrong words, but you get the point. I believe the music does set mood and atmosphere, but not the ones that should be going along with the lyrics. I enjoy parts of the cd well enough, but overall, not my thing. As for flight of the migrator, i have to say russ shines on it and dawn is one of the best metal songs out there, and it is also one of bruce's finest performances he has put forth. It's a great album though i disagree with some of the choices of singers (ralf schepers sp?) though arjen has a knack for bringing out something in his vocalists. I would never have thought fabio of rhapsody sang on that album as it's so uncharacteristic of his voice, as with bruce and russ... something about their singing makes their vocals almost unrecognizable. That's my oppinion... attack as necissary :)

I first encountered Amorphis on the music store I frequent for over 5 years now. I'm addicted to them ever since.

I didn't know of Symphony X by such a degree of serendipity though. And I envy the people who have learned about them by that way.
:lol: