Grind

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Probably not a favorite among the RC crowd, as most here prefer "arty" bands over pure pummeling or brutality (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Since I couldn't find a thread dedicated strictly for grind bands, I thought we might as well have one.

So what grind bands does everyone like? Or is grind taboo around here?

Brutal Truth :kickass:

I like grind but don't love it enough to have any real standout albums, unless you count some Carcass and Cannibal Corpse albums. Oh and Napalm Death - Scum of course.

I always thought CC were death metal.

Anyone self respecting metal fan must have at least one Brutal Truth album. Goddamnfuckingpummelyourassitwill (and that's a good thing)

I should get some Brutal Truth. Watchmaker kicks ass.

I would consider Cannibal Corpse grind just because they oftentimes have a lot of stop-start and odd tempo stuff. I guess it's debateable though.

I need to hear Crowpath.

I think Mistress is considered sludge along with Goatsblood, Eyehategod and Iron Monkey.

Brutal Truth's Need to Control is the cat's fucking ass.

Abaddon Incarnate is also fucking good, and of course you can't forget about Scald, who are much more than just a grind band.

J. said:
Bolt Thrower's first two are considered grind I believe. PJ can probably confirm.
Yeah, I have the Peel Sessions CD and I don't like that material as much as their later stuff. To be honest, I think Bolt Thrower are better when they're playing their good old battle/death metal a la For Victory or IVth Crusade.

Perhaps a definition of what the fuck grind EXACTLY is might be required...heh. Goatsblood, Rune, Cannibal Corpse, Watchmaker....I'm not seeing many similarities.

I've never considered CC to be grind. Goatsblood is sludge. I thought Watchmaker was like blackened grind or something.

Rune is grind, but throw in doom elements.

Grind started as an extreme version of punk. Napalm Death 'Scum' is probably the first true grind album. Grind eventually transformed into stuff like Carcass and now Nasum. About a billion bands are now lumped into the grind category, because they don't fit anywhere else. Thus, Watchmaker, Goatsblood, Crowpath, etc. are stuck in the gring category by a lot of people. Grind didn't start out as technical and precise. That is just the modern version of it.

I saw Brutal Truth open for Cannibal Corpse in 1996. Brutal Truth sang songs about killing cops and stuff. I still have the Trend, Kill, Suicide (or whatever its called) EP from that show.