Grunge

grunge got watered down by the industry as much as glam did by the mid-90s, so it's a pretty weak argument.

grunge got watered down by the industry as much as glam did by the mid-90s, so it's a pretty weak argument.

Not really, because grunge immediately became post-grunge when the industry tookover. The bands that are actually considered grunge such as Nirvana, Mudhoney, AIC, Mother Love Bone etc. were all legitimately non-corporate. The industry took the sound and made it corporate very quickly but that stuff is not grunge. There's no such distinction between hair bands with integrity and without. Besides, the real problem with glam is the superficiality, not the corporate influence. Superficiality was a defining aspect of glam like depression was for grunge, and I prefer depression. I know all music is legit at heart but it certainly doesn't feel that way for me.

Collective Soul

This is what I highly recommended. Any album other than Dosage (which is good, but definitely not close to their best) is absolutely essential in my opinion. The main band I listen to when I want calm/non metal music.

I don't know if they're Grunge, though. They aren't really true to the genre's characteristics. Especially the depressing lyrics part, they're almost the exact opposite in fact. I would say they're more soft alternative.

I'm going off of memory alone, but I think there was another decent but relatively unknown band called Sweetwater that came out of that scene.

I distinctly remember having an earring ripped out of my ear when it caught in someones sweater. Who wears a sweater to a concert??!??

Ok, for those too YOUNG to know what grunge even was....

the essential albums from those bands/that era:

Green River: Come On Down/Dry as A Bone

Nirvana: Bleach/Nevermind/Incesticide

Mudhoney: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge/ Superfuzz, Bigmuff/Piece Of Cake

Soundgarden: Ultramega O.K./ Screaming Life, Fopp/Louder Than Love/ Badmotorfinger

Tad: Salt Lick, God's Balls/ 8 Way Santa/Inhaler

Babes In Toyland: Fontanelle/To Mother/Spanking Machine/Painkillers

Alice In Chains: anything....

Pearl Jam: anything...

Hole: Pretty On The Inside/ Live Through This

Mother Love Bone was NOT, I repeat: was NOT a grunge band. Look at their old videos and listen to their disc...it was glam.

anyways...my advice on the grunge movement, since it was my preferred genre for roughly 4 years.

Ok, for those too YOUNG to know what grunge even was....

the essential albums from those bands/that era:

Green River: Come On Down/Dry as A Bone

Nirvana: Bleach/Nevermind/Incesticide

Mudhoney: Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge/ Superfuzz, Bigmuff/Piece Of Cake

Soundgarden: Ultramega O.K./ Screaming Life, Fopp/Louder Than Love/ Badmotorfinger

Tad: Salt Lick, God's Balls/ 8 Way Santa/Inhaler

Babes In Toyland: Fontanelle/To Mother/Spanking Machine/Painkillers

Alice In Chains: anything....

Pearl Jam: anything...

Hole: Pretty On The Inside/ Live Through This

Mother Love Bone was NOT, I repeat: was NOT a grunge band. Look at their old videos and listen to their disc...it was glam.

anyways...my advice on the grunge movement, since it was my preferred genre for roughly 4 years.

This man knows his stuff, though I'd put Superunknown in with the Soundgarden essentials.

No In Utero for Nirvana? Can't say I agree with that. Frankly I think With The Lights Out is their best album since it puts together a lot of their best album cuts with a lot of their best material like their pre-Bleach material and b-sides Curmudgeon, Marigold, Even In His Youth. The only problem is that the single version of Even In His Youth was a lot better than the demo version they used for the box.

Anyone else think s/t AiC is better than Dirt. I mean both albums are perfect in always possible so it's not easy.

They're basically the ONLY grunge bands that exist, man. Grunge was more a movement than a genre. It only covers one wave of bands from a very limited period of time and location. Bands that inspired it like The Pixies and Flipper don't count, and the bands that it inspired like Drain STH and Silverchair don't count. As soon as grunge hit the scene in '91 it was kinda already over, other than the things that those 10 or so bands had left to accomplish. This was because no new grunge bands could exist, since grunge was dependent on that underground-gone-mainstream dynamic, and any grunge-sounding bands coming after '91 couldn't have an underground aspect.

But if you really wanna find more grunge bands, check out some of Sub Pop's old compilations.

No In Utero for Nirvana?

Yeah...I like that disc but wouldn't consider it a MUST have, I guess, in spite of "Rape Me", "Dumb", and "Pennyroyal Tea". With The Lights Out looked like an ok cd, but I never picked it up for some reason. And that track "Even In His Youth" kicks all kinds of ass. That song, hands down, is my favorite Nirvana track.