Grunge

Superunknown was cool, but I kinda got burnt out on the fact that it was overplayed like hell for a year or two. I actually like Down On The Upside a lot as well, there was a cool kind of depressed vibe going on with that one.

Is that the one that has Blow Up the Outside World? That is my absolute favorite Soundgarden song.

Also, With the Lights Out, I think had their song Sappy on it, one of the best Nirvana songs imo. It was never released until then, though... so a lot of people don't know about it.

Is that the one that has Blow Up the Outside World? That is my absolute favorite Soundgarden song.

Yes it is, a lot of gems on that record.

Also, With the Lights Out, I think had their song Sappy on it, one of the best Nirvana songs imo. It was never released until then, though... so a lot of people don't know about it.

Never heard it, myself, even. That one song they released in 02 (You Know You're Right) was very cool as well, I thought.

3 CDs is a little much for people who aren't hardcore Nirvana fans like me, but really With The Lights Out does contain a lot of their all-time best material. Kurt Cobain was very picky and so some of Nirvana's best stuff was simply left out of their official discography until WTLO. Nirvana's early stuff is freaking amazing with the sludge-metal Anorexorcist, the thrash/punk Mrs. Butterworth, dirty hard rock songs rock songs like Blandest and Token Eastern Song, the intense If You Must, plus the beautiful Clean Up Before She Comes. And that's only the start of solid tracks, Oh The Guilt, Old Age, Verse Chorus Verse, Sappy, I Hate Myself and Want To Die, Curmudgeon, Even In His Youth, D-7, Ain't It a Shame, Marigold, Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol, Moist Vagina... Plus IMO the In Utero demos are even better or at least as good as the album versions.

There are some raw demos and things that would only be of interest to hardcore fans, but there's at least 2 discs worth of material that is downright astounding. I've put together 2 albums out of the WTLO material and they are EASILY the equals of any of Nirvana's studio albums.

For people who like Nirana and don't have With The Lights Out I at least reccomend picking up Sliver: The Best of the Box, although I wouldn't say it's necessarily an accurate best of the box collection.

I really enjoy Soundgarden -badmotorfinger,superunknown and down on the upside a lot and still have not heard their old albums. All three of these albums are classic diverse as hell and well written. Chris Cornell sucks now in audioslave, but he was an amazing vocalist,guitarist and a great songwriter period and Kim Thayil and the rest of the band are outstanding musicians and all have different musical backgrounds which makes the band so interesting. Matt Cameron is one of the best drummers i've heard along with Sean Kinney from AiC and also beats the shit out of his drums.

Anyone else think s/t AiC is better than Dirt. I mean both albums are perfect in always possible so it's not easy.

Yes, Alice In Chains is their most dark, depressing, and well-written album to date. It took a couple tries to grow on me but when it did, it was their most rewarding.

What would be a good place to start with Mudhoney? I've been trying to delve a little further into grunge as of late.

Hole sucked, in my opinion.

Anyone remember the Meat Puppets? They were like grunge/country alt. They had some pretty cool stuff, although I was more a fan of their country alt than their grunge/punk material.

For those who don't know them, Nirvana covered them on the Nirvana MTV Unplugged. They wrote the song Lake of Fire.

Hole sucked, in my opinion.

Anyone remember the Meat Puppets? They were like grunge/country alt. They had some pretty cool stuff, although I was more a fan of their country alt than their grunge/punk material.

For those who don't know them, Nirvana covered them on the Nirvana MTV Unplugged. They wrote the song Lake of Fire.

I think Too High To Die is their best, though Forbidden Places and No Joke had a good song here and there. As for their 80's stuff....meh, not a fan, really. I used to have a lot of their stuff on casette and couldn't tell yo where the hell it all is now.