gt-8 vs. podxt live

which is more rad

• boss gt-8

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • line 6 podxt live

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I've got the GT-8 and my friend has a POD XT...the POD XT is very impressive, but so is the GT-8 for that matter. I prefer the GT-8's onboard effects to the XT Live's because the POD sounds somewhat digital to me. The sound is quite good, but it still doesn't sound REAL...this is just my opinion. The GT-8, however, sounds just like any other amp if you put it through your head. I recorded a demo with it and it sounded better than the Marshall, actually. Now I use it only for effects, no distortion whatsoever. All my distortion comes from my Peavey 6505+ head, only I run the 4 cable method with the GT-8, activating only the EQ and Compressor and a little Reverb since the head doesn't have any reverb on it. I don't use any boost or anything anymore since I got that head...the GT-8 now is set up like a bank of stompboxes all in a row...Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, etc. You can use the stompboxes in conjunction with your head, but if you've got a high gain head, I wouldn't use anything more than a Tubescreamer stompbox setting coupled with EQ and maybe compressor. Personally, I don't need any more distortion, as I value tone over complete face melting distortion.

I bypass the amp head when with the 4 cable method I want to go with a clean sound because Peavey's cleans suck ass. I have a preset for several cleans and other weird effects, along with my distortion setup. I change patches like any other multifx, only when I need to get back into the distortion, I hit the CTRL button, which basically locks you into a different setting of the same preset, utilizing the other patch BUTTONS for "stompbox effects". In English, patch button 1, 2, 3, and 4 are changed when you hit the CTRL button, and it kinda "locks" the patch in MANUAL mode...when it's in manual mode, you can set MANUALLY the patch buttons how you want...whether they become patches or other effects within the same patch is up to you. Just try it out and you'll see...

You can also download patches from www.bossgtcentral.com on your PC, then upload it via MIDI to your GT-8. You can do this with the POD as well, and I think even the POD has a USB port. BossGTCentral.com is a third party forum, so we just post our patches and then upload them to the GT-8. You can also do this with all the GTs.

It all depends on what you need it for. I use my GT-8 as an effects board AND rack system, as it has everything you need. I've even got a G Major rack system that I don't even use because I like the GT-8 better. It's got every single thing you ever need in one package, and it sounds fucking great too. However, THIS ISN'T THE DIGITECH MULTIFX PEDAL!!!!! The Digitech pedals are really good and sound really good, but there is a limit to how much you can tweak in them. There is no limit to the GT-8, and that is also it's downfall. The learning curve is quite steep on it, and I've had it for about a year and I'm still only scratching the surface. There's still tons of things that I don't know about it. You can also rearrange the FX chain for each patch, getting different sounds out of different orders. For instance, put the distortion and wah behind the amp instead of in front of it and it sounds completely different. If you wanna learn more about it, go to the bossgtcentral website. The people there are very, very, very nice and will bend over backwards to help you.

i have a GT-6, aaaaaaaaand i love it. I've always been a fan of Boss pedals. I love Line-6 shit... but Id def go with the Boss, I played with the Line-6 and it sounded a little too "digital" for me. I play through a solid state amp, so the GT-6 helps give it some balls, where as the Line-6 would probably make it sound like one of those solid state amps with the built in effects... like the Line-6 Spider II's those sound like shit.

This all probably doesnt help... just get the GT-8 you WONT regret it. plus its probably cheaper, if they are the same price then get a GT-6 for like 200 online.

maaaaaaan, i hooked my gt-6 up to my pc a couple nights ago, i wanna bring it to practice, but i think bill would be pissed :lol:

I'm going to be getting a GT-8 soon hopefully for effects for my 5150. I won't run the 4CM though, I will still want to turn up or down onstage using the amps controls.

You can still control your amp with the 4CM. You have to ensure that in the FX chain that the PREAMP from the GT8 is off and the LOOP is on...and that's about it. I know what you're talking about, as I thought the same thing. The controls don't work on the head, right? Wrong. Adjust your FX chain settings. Trust me...it's a whoooole new world. Basically, you can turn your amp on and off through the patches. That is, if we're talking distortion. But do you really want to use the clean from a 5150? They're shit in cleans. Just use the Roland Jazz Chorus patch for the cleans and bypass the amp...you'll be better off. Then when you want to jump back into distortion, step on your next patch and it kicks the FX loop back into gear and you're back in business using the amp's distortion WITH the GT8 instead of replacing the amp's distortion with the GT8's. There is no difference if you do it right.

As far as the effects go, they are all Boss effects. They have basically crammed all of Boss's effects and put them all together...they sound the same and have the same functionality. The GT8 just consolidates everything for 500 bucks. The tubescreamer setting sounds, well, like a tubescreamer. The COSM technology allows the GT8 to blend amp simulators. For instance, Do you like the chunk of a Mesa Boogie but want the face melting factor of a 5150? You can blend the two amps together and tweak it to create a distortion that is completely your own. The GT8 is the Lamborghini of multifx pedals.

The wah sounds really good as well, but I'd invest in a separate wah pedal because the pedal on the GT8 has a shallow throw. You can do anything you want with this thing, dude.

well, you can record direct with the GT6 without using an amp, if that answers your question. go to the store and see if theyll let you plug it into some kind of mixer in the Pro Audio department

I know I could but I wouldn't want to, the distortion sounds nasty and not in a good way.

That's what I was talking about...you have to really tweak it to get good distortion out of it. I created a studio quality distortion, but it took literally months to perfect it. Out of the box it's not so great, this much is true. However, I didn't really buy it for the distortion. I bought it for the other aspects of it.

The most kickass amp mod on the GT8 is probably the Triamp sim which obviously simulates the Hughes and Kettner Triamp. It's just awesome. But again, you have to tweak it a lot to get what you want. If you just pulled it out of the box and tried it, no wonder the amp sims sounded like garbage.

and if you were really so set on getting the POD, you shouldnt have made this dumbass poll asking us what we thought. you just wanted validation with your decision

*punches you in the cunt*

and if you were really so set on getting the POD, you shouldnt have made this dumbass poll asking us what we thought. you just wanted validation with your decision

*punches you in the cunt*
listen fuckwad *means that in the nicest way possible since you're the mod*
I made my trip back to guitar center before reading your jackassian post^ just to give it a second shot because your opinion mean just that much to me :p

I ended up returning the pod for the gt-8 due to my liking the effects so much more, plus there are also a ton of killer features up the wahzoo. The pod def had better amp mods and the software it came with was a huge plus but in the end I need my effects! This thing is a beast, I just couldn't deny it! I'm gonna ignore the distortion at least till I tweak it to hell but I got a nice half stack which sounds good on it's own anyhow. :headbang:

p.s. be on the lookout for me on the boss forum

ps.ps don't you touch my cunt!!!

listen fuckwad *means that in the nicest way possible since you're the mod*
I made my trip back to guitar center before reading your jackassian post^ just to give it a second shot because your opinion mean just that much to me :p

I ended up returning the pod for the gt-8 due to my liking the effects so much more, plus there are also a ton of killer features up the wahzoo. The pod def had better amp mods and the software it came with was a huge plus but in the end I need my effects! This thing is a beast, I just couldn't deny it! I'm gonna ignore the distortion at least till I tweak it to hell but I got a nice half stack which sounds good on it's own anyhow. :headbang:

p.s. be on the lookout for me on the boss forum

ps.ps don't you touch my cunt!!!

Dude, if you want an awesome amp sim, check mine out. Just go on the forum and do a search for the name "doomblackdeath"...obviously it's me. Click on the thread "My metal patch" and just follow the instructions from there on out. I named the patch "Fuckin' Metal". Remember, you need a midi cable to adapt to USB, so go to Guitar Center and buy it for like 45 bucks. Good luck and have fun!!!!