Guitar effects

BadCat would be more like a not that harsh distortion probably. So unlike Opeth..More like PT.

Marshall and Laney can satisfy if you want some real metal distortions.

a bad cat would give you just about any clean tone you could want. not just a PT sound (although thats what steven uses often). but the price is a big deterrent for most people with bad cats...seeing as theyre quite pricey for their size...but well worth it if you can come up with the scratch.

bad cats have a warm chime, but can be somewhat brittle. but, they cut through the mix. when i saw porcupine tree, i was standing about 30-40 feet from the stage, and i could hear the 112 bad cat over the p.a. by a long shot...granted, i was facing the speaker.

You can get a BadCat and you can put mics. in front of the amps during gigs. I don't think that wouldn't be a problem. The size and stuff.

An Absent Friend said:
You can get a BadCat and you can put mics. in front of the amps during gigs.

?

That's what you tend to do, regardless.

@Effigen: It depends how practical it is for you to use or save up for a tube amp.

Whilst cranking a tube half-stack is great in theory, many bedroom guitarists don't have the luxury. For jamming at home I advocate the digital stuff, just to give you as much tonal versatility as possible.

An ME-50, a GT-8, or hell even some of the Line 6 gear does fine as a jamming tool.

Having said that, if you're after pure tone, I'd say save up.

Moonlapse said:
?

That's what you tend to do, regardless.

Well actually this is something that most of the bands use. In turkish we called it ''dip noise'' that comes from the amp on high volumes. Mics avoid this. For example Opeth did this here in Turkey , and they had Marshall amps.