Singel guitar effects

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Im looking for a nice distortion effect for my guitar and having huge problems with descisions. A bad effects will ruin my not so thick wallet so its gotta be the right one.

Im sure there are some guitar players who has tried good effects and can recommend stuff to me. Or.....I hope so.

I have checked some effect sounds that I found great but I cant decide you know...Help me!

They are both "DOD"

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...95438326/search/g=guitar/detail/base_id/35152

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...95438326/search/g=guitar/detail/base_id/35154

Or...what does Mike and Peter use?

i think opeth play with boss gt something or with zoom.i couldn't understand what was it.but when u listen to a guitar sound at an album it's not only the distortion man...the sound depends on many other things as well...pick-ups,guitar,other effects as well.you think that opeth and any other band play only with distortion?no man.there are echoes reverbs and many many more that alter the sound to another level..if you would like my opinion for a distortion pedal now...well...if you realy wanna buy something then buy something good.ok i m not talking about the buddah distortions that are massive but need a huge wallet...why don't you try something like Rocktron's "Rampage" epsecially if you like like more thrashy staff.it's my favourite distortion but it's expensive about £140.another classic is Boss MT-2 otherwise "Metal-Zone" which is quite good but it sounds better if you combine it with other effects especially reverbs.it costs less than the rocktron but again if you spend more to buy other things it could be realy expensive.i would recommend you though to buy a multieffect which will help you a lot.not expensive as well.how about zoom 707.i hate zooms but this one is realy good as it has also druming that can help your playing a lot.i have a korg AX 1000G which is very very good costs the same money with the rocktron and is wicked.its quality is very very good.plus that it is a multieffect and that will help you a lot to learn how to create sounds.i think korg will stop making it as ther is no more on their site but you can check he AX 1500G which is better and slightly more expensive around £20 more.my opinion for the DOD's (i haven't listened to the malmsteen one but...) stay away...hope i helped...send me a msg if u r still in thinking..

no man there is nothing wrong just not my type plus 100 more reasons...and believe me which company should put a bad sample on their site?if u have good shops around your area go and try by yourself...good hint: take your guitar as well...and play them both loud and not so loud...many times sounds u listen at low volume and u like them dissapoint you at very loud levels.this usually happens with multieffects though not that it is their fault...more of the times the user makes mistakes...DOD? don't know man...why don't you try that korg one i told you?it s very very good...u can mail me also if u have any queries as i ll not be that often this week...korg recommended though

the grunge pedal is pretty shit

death metal is alright

i'd save up some more money and get either the boss metal zone or the zoom tri metal....they are much much better than dod, and are worth the money.

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
Why should I stay away from DOD?
Have you heard bad things about them?
I think the sounded best of all I listened to at that site...

I own a DOD, it was good for about 2 weeks. Exchanged it and lasted 3 weeks so it is not bad luck: its bad cuality. Those pedals are just not built to last, save and get a Boss MT-2, you'll get a much better tone and a pedal that will outlast SEVERAL dod pedals.

Yeah, most distortion pedals suck. I have BOSS's Metal Zone (MT-2), but it's nothing special. It's ok if you only play at home at low volume levels, but as soon as you crank up the volume it gets fuzzy and noisy and whatnot. The feedback is pretty bad, too.

Hearse had DOD's Death Metal, and it was horrible. :)

Of course, it all depends on what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you're after.

roctron pro2.0-pre-amp never let me down.
it has very effective disortion..clean sound is not bad either..
some guitarists use it as a eq-centrum (allan holdsworth,steve lukather).
it`s pretty cheap too...

i forgot why don't you try Rocktron Gainiac which is analog preamp with fuckin hellish gains...this is good of you god a final amp...MT-2 is not good by itself guys...when you play loud it realy crapy...but again if you combine it with with the boss' again reverb pedal which is quite expensive (or it is the one which also got chorus cant remeber well)it sounds realy good.i combine it with my pedal effects chorus and reverb gives realy awesome sonds...

I'm pretty sure Opeth doesn't use Zoom pedals. I have a boss metal zone and I think it's great and for me it works out fine during gigs with high volume. Just check out the equipment list on the official homepage as someone said earlier.

according to opeth.com, they used the "Boss heavy metal" pedal on orchid and morningrise, which i think was replaced with the MT-2 metal zone which they used on MAYH. they used the GT3 effects board on still life/bwp, but this doesnt necessarily mean they used it for distortion, they might've used amp distortion.

anyway I have an MT-2, dont really like it that much. I got it for free off a friend, wouldnt be worth the general asking price in my opinion.

I have listened to the MT-2 and I cant say that I got excited. I think that the DOD grunge sounds alot better but then I believe in your critisism to DOD.

My search continues....

Get a Line6 POD pro, much better value, plus it has all sorts of effects built into it. Its considerably more money ($300) but there isn't a sound out there that you can't get with it.

Any opinions on Digitech's GNX2? (I'm looking to buy GNX3)

Its a multi-effect floor pedal by the way. I've played around with GNX2 a bit, but I wanna see someone else's take on it.

Sfarog