Buying New Guitar

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I didn't want to pay a lot of money for a guitar, so I was trying to find one that looks cool, has 24 frets, a whammy bar for death metal woowoowoohoo'ing and also one that would be able to handle all the pressure of playing live, recording (i hate noise and static on a recording) and just a solid guitar that will last a very long time. Does anyone know any good, affordable guitars? Hopefully in the $400 - $500 area?

I was looking at this but I didn't know if it was good: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_id/52855

I would recommend either ESP or Schecter, both make great guitars in that price range. I know for a fact that most ESP's come with Semour Duncan pick-ups stock, which you can't go wrong with, some have EMG's as well. Schecter's are really comfortable, played a few of them, good quality.

for $400 you aren't gonna get a high quality guitar unless: a. you make it yourself or b. you score some rare deal.

however, for a decent axe, i agree with Thane

Yea im gunna have to say schecter, i got a pretty good one for cheap, its got coil tap in it, which is awesome for clean stuff. has a really meaty sound for distortion and 24 frets. the only thing i will comment on is that the frets are a bit small, i have got used to it though. Also, if you want to do a wide range of tunings try to stay away from floyd tremelo systems with locking tuners, you have to adjust all the springs if you wanted to say tune from standard e to say standard d tuning.

NineFeetUnderground said:
id keep saving for a while.

a good guitar is very rare under the $1000 mark unfortunately.

I disagree. There are plenty of great guitars under the 1000 dollar mark. In most cases you just need to swap out the electronics. I've played plenty of gibsons that I absolutely hated- often times it's just the prestige that comes with an expensive guitar and the fact that they hold their value better. Really it just depends on the company.

If you want a les paul I recommend the esp ec-1000 because it's insanely tricked out and around your price range. If you're a superstrat guy(like me) then I can definitely vouch for Schecter. I LOOOOVE my c-1 elite, and all it needed was a pickup swap. Mmm, that guitar is a string benders dream- it just sings. The only problem was the pickups. Also be sure to check out carvin- if you save for a bit they can make you a custom guitar for quite cheap. And I agree about the Dean hardtails- awesome guitars.

Words of wisdom: Try out as many guitars as possible. Just because I like my schecter doesn't mean they're all good. I played quite a few stinkers to find it. ALWAYS listen to the guitar unplugged because that will indicate its natural tone and how well it resonates ect.- especially if it has crummy stock pups.

Hope you find a good guitar man :)

Ibanez has some beautiful electrics. I own a RG1570, thin ass neck, plays like a dream. Paid $624 for mine, but I paid more for a lefty. I'm sure the righty is around $500.

Check out ebay. You can find all sort of guitars there, although you don't get to play, you usually want to buy a guitar you can inspect first.

Well Jacksons are fun to play,I have a V but quality wise they're not that great they dont last extremely long. If you're using Musicians Friend you could probably find a nice priced SG or Ibanez. The only problem I've had with Ibanez is with some of the Floyd Rose bridges which is a pain in the ass if you're tuning down and then up alot. All I can recomend is that you go and try out a guitar at a shop even it requires a long drive. No one on this forum can tell you whats good for you,so I'd just go try some out.

Botfly said:

nah man. Those aren't good guitars, quality-wise, and soapbars are not the ideal pickup for metal. Plus, he wanted a whammy.

OGM said:

NO NO NO NO. I wouldn't even wish a fucking Raven on Oinkness. Worst guitars I've ever played (next to Rogue).

I would recommend a Jackson DKMG (the Musicians Friend link, but don't drop $600 on a guitar you've never played.)

511496.jpg

The ones above start at $629 - probably slightly more at your local music store, but you might be able to get them to match MF's price, especially if you imply that by doing so they will get your continued business, especially when you're ready to upgrade to a $2000 guitar. ;) My friend has one, and it's as good as my Soloist that I paid ~$900 for. Drop some real EMGs in there and you'll be fucking set. There's also the DKMGT...I don't know what the difference is, but it doesn't have a tremolo and is slightly cheaper, apparently ($594 from MF, but again - they get the lower quality stuff, don't buy from them if you can help it).