Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
I consider to buy this pedal!
I have listened to it and thinks it sounds pretty clear and good. I own a metal zone but i think its too much distortion and its not clear at all.

Can anyone recommend this pedal for recording or is there any better alternative on the market? Maybe an multieffect pedal?

I want clear och nice/heavy distortion. (Opeth like)

Check the pedal out and listen to it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...5006710408/g=home/search/detail/base_id/36291

You've probably heard this a bazillion times, but truly GOOD distortion doesn't come from a pedal. It comes from a high-gain tube amp cranked up to 11.

You could buy it, and it'll sound cool for a bit, but if you're running it into a solid state amp? You're NOT gonna get Opeth type overdrive sounds.

What you're hearing on the Opeth records is a combination of a Laney VH100R, a Mesa Dual rectifier, a peavey 5150, and an Engl Savage 120. They used the amps to record over at Studio Fredman, and multi-tracked everything so it sounds HUGE.

Want to add more girth to your sound? I'd suggest getting a 4x12 or 2x12 extension cab first. That'll probably beef up your sound more than any pedal will.

skyshock1 said:
You've probably heard this a bazillion times, but truly GOOD distortion doesn't come from a pedal. It comes from a high-gain tube amp cranked up to 11.

You could buy it, and it'll sound cool for a bit, but if you're running it into a solid state amp? You're NOT gonna get Opeth type overdrive sounds.

What you're hearing on the Opeth records is a combination of a Laney VH100R, a Mesa Dual rectifier, a peavey 5150, and an Engl Savage 120. They used the amps to record over at Studio Fredman, and multi-tracked everything so it sounds HUGE.

Want to add more girth to your sound? I'd suggest getting a 4x12 or 2x12 extension cab first. That'll probably beef up your sound more than any pedal will.

Well, tone is subjective like anything else in music. I think my Legacy's distortion sounds like shit. Vai swears by a DS-1 thru the clean channel with his.

Opeth use Laney's live. On the newer records they have doubletrack everything with both the Laney and and the Mesa. The Engl are for solos only, the 5150 also. Or so I've read somewhere.

The Evil Toucan said:
Well, tone is subjective like anything else in music. I think my Legacy's distortion sounds like shit. Vai swears by a DS-1 thru the clean channel with his.

Depends on how you use it mang. I've heard Legacy's get INCREDIBLY huge sounds on tape. Not so hot live though. When you quadruple track a Legacy? WHEEEE DOGGIESS!!!!!!!

FWIW, Vai just uses the DS-1 set up as a boost for the dirty channel. Gain down, master volume up, tone knob flatlined. He doesn't use it through the clean channel.

I'm gonna have to agree here... if you really want some killer tone, you won't want to be looking at some $100 stomp box, especially overpriced Boss ones... You'd be looking at a 5150 run through an extension cab... or if you're insane enough you'll try the 'high-gain tube amp cranked up to 11' idea.. but of course that isn't for practicing at all... only for live sets and possibly jamming if you're crazy enough.

hmm... then get a valve amp and break the knob off at 10!!!! make sure to run it through a dual rectifier first :).

No, but honestly... if you want Opeth tone, you'll need to get that pedal that Mikael uses live.. the Boss Gt-3 or whatever... along with distortion you get some effects to play around with... although minus the laney stacks and massive amounts of amplification I'm not sure how the tone will fare... (that's not taking into account that chances are 99.9% that you dont have a PRS either).