DAMAGE CONTROL Solid Metal - Opinions

freshblood

New Metal Member
Oct 11, 2008
Hello,

DAMAGE CONTROL Solid Metal

i'm tending to buy this pedal; i would like to know some opinions of those of You who tried this piece and are into very heavy metal (death/black).
I have already read many opinions of many distortion pedals and this one seems to be the best.

I'm into very heavy climates and i'm looking for some pedal with heavy but 'clean' distortion, with good bass tones (esp. for palm muted E, A strings).

Is this a good choice or not? Is generally a tube disto a good choice?

Currently i'm using Boss MT-2 Metal Zone with Valvestate 8080's overdrive.
MT-2 gives not as 'clear' distortion as i would like. Those who tried MT-2 will know what i'm talking about.

regards

haven't played it myself...but $200 is a lot to spend on a distortion pedal, when that money could just be put toward a better amp

Sell the Valvestate and the Metulz Zhun (used both and owned an old VS head myself, believe me, if you don't like it's tone, a distortion pedal will never make it sound great :)), save the $200 you'd spend on the Solid Metal and you're not that far away from getting a used 5150 for the money.

a bit off topic but A valvestate sounds EXCELLENT with a boss hm-2. brootal!

Thanks for the replies but the question was about the disto not the amp.
I know the amp is awful and i'm going to replace it too.

If You want to advice me with the amp, i started a thread about it earlier but nobody answered so far -
RANDALL

Here i'm waiting for the opinions about the Solid Metal.
And please don't argue with yourselves. Just advices. Thanks.

The best distortion comes from an amp, not a pedal, so ditch the amp and get a better one IS advice about distortion :) And if you want something with the solid state sound of Randalls, check out the Crate Flexwave (seriously, my housemate has one and I've been dicking around with it, it's surprisingly good, I'm gonna record some clips through my Mesa cab soon)

Sell the Valvestate and the Metulz Zhun (used both and owned an old VS head myself, believe me, if you don't like it's tone, a distortion pedal will never make it sound great :)), save the $200 you'd spend on the Solid Metal and you're not that far away from getting a used 5150 for the money.

Yeah i know that Peavey 5150 is a good piece but i'm looking rather for a combo - separate thread - there you could recommend me some good crushing amps!
And i have to have a distortion anyway after i sell MT-2 so... DC Solid Metal might be a good choice. And the price isn't that high since MT-2 costs almost half that price.

And if you want something with the solid state sound of Randalls, check out the Crate Flexwave

What generation of Randalls you're talking about? Because i'm only interested in the sound of the old G1 generation (RG Combos).
Tell me something more about Crate here

you're not likely to find many people (if anyone) who have tried that distortion pedal...most people here find amps that sound good without needing pedals, and stick with that, so aside from the small handful of extremely common ones, not many of us use distortion pedals

that being said, i would try to get a new amp like that randall you're wanting rather than spending the cash on a pedal like that...you really don't get what you pay for with distortion pedals over $50 IMO

that being said, i would try to get a new amp like that randall you're wanting rather than spending the cash on a pedal like that...you really don't get what you pay for with distortion pedals over $50 IMO

but those old randals are extremely hard to find nowadays.
the only hope is to find something that sounds like them and is still being produced. but what???

@Metaltastic & Kazrog

but amp's boost channels are the overdrives.
ovedrive is not enough for me. i have to have something more. a distortion.
are there amps with distorted channels built in?

@Metaltastic & Kazrog

but amp's boost channels are the overdrives.
ovedrive is not enough for me. i have to have something more. a distortion.
are there amps with distorted channels built in?

Most any amp used by any band you like on any record has this. Examples of such amps (there are many more, these are just some of the most popular):

• Peavey 5150/6505, XXX, and JSX
  • Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
  • Krank Revolution, Krankenstein
  • Engl Fireball
  • And more...

Thanks for the replies but the question was about the disto not the amp.
I know the amp is awful and i'm going to replace it too.

if the amp has good distortion, you won't need the damn pedal...

and if you want a combo, the 5150's were/are made in a 2x12 format