Best amp for metal homme recording

Alliver

New Metal Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hi from Spain: I want to buy a new amp and I will appreciate very much your help and advices. These are my request:

- Homme recording use only.
- 5 or 15 watts are enouhg for me.
- I play Metal / Hard-Rock. I play wiyt lots of palm-mutes. The best important for me is to have a good distortion quality.
- I prefer 2 channels.
- I prefer Head&Cab rather than combo.
- I do not like external pedals. Just plug&play.
- I would not like to spend more than 800-900€ unless there is a very good reason. I prefer to pay little more but being sure that I but a good quality amp.

I want to go a big step forward with my new amp (I own a Marshall Valvestate 8080) and I have already tried these amps (brief test):

- Blackstar HT-5 Mini stack: OK for me but not big difference IMO with VS8080.
- Orange Tiny Terror 15W: I did not liked very much.
- Vox Nighttrain: I liked less than HT-5.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Thanks azistenostora. I have not try them yet. I will try both if I got the chance in my local music store. I have Never heard of Krank and I have to check out.

Any other model to chech please?

Jet City, Engl or Krank is probably your best bet.
Orange is really cool but takes quite a bit of post eq due to not having any eq controls on the amp. Also only one channel.
Vox is definately not a rock/metal amp. Great for cleans and crunch but not heavy stuff.

You'll struggle getting a good metal sound without a tubescreamer in front of the amp though. At least if it's a modern metal type tone you're looking for.

What about the Peavey 6505+ 112 ? It's a combo but a 6505 for 550€ (in Europe) sounds quite attractive no ?
And it's 60 watts and no 120 as the head, but I think it's already to much for your use ?

Jet City, Engl or Krank is probably your best bet.
Orange is really cool but takes quite a bit of post eq due to not having any eq controls on the amp. Also only one channel.
Vox is definately not a rock/metal amp. Great for cleans and crunch but not heavy stuff.

You'll struggle getting a good metal sound without a tubescreamer in front of the amp though. At least if it's a modern metal type tone you're looking for.

Thanks Trevori520: Unfortunately, there is no Krank dealer in Spain. I have been looking for Jet City amps in some music stores (close to the place where I live) and they do not supply these amps either.

I have been checking Engl Gigmaster and it could fit my request. I have to give it a try.

So, do you think it is absolutely necessary to put an external pedal to achieve great metal sound?. Which model do you advice me then? What do you think of Cornford Harlequin + ext. pedal?

Thank you very muchs for your help.

What about the Peavey 6505+ 112 ? It's a combo but a 6505 for 550€ (in Europe) sounds quite attractive no ?
And it's 60 watts and no 120 as the head, but I think it's already to much for your use ?

Hi RLab: I have had a brutal GAS attack with Peavy. They look like very good with very good tone but I am little worried with the watts. Maybe at low volume they do not work as fine as al medium-high power and I can not put too much volume in my flat.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Haha, you're welcome ;) I think there's a few Sneapsters who could give you some feedbacks about the power !

Your best bet for a pedal is some kind of tubescreamer. The Ibanez TS7 is pretty cheap and does the job fine. Keep the drive down, the level at 12 o clock (crank it if you need more gain out of the amp) and adjust the tone to taste. Really tightens up the low end and gets rid of the fizzy stuff on top.

Hello friends:

I have been collenting my toughts and I see things clearer. I have been trying these amps (brief tests) and here is my oppinion:

- Egnater Rebel 20: I liked it very much. Power control from 1 to 20W. Blend tubes. Good sound IMO. I am thinking in Rebel 30 as a very good option. Noiseless. The worst is that it do not provide ultra high gain for metal and in Spain is more expensive in comparison with other countries.

- Peavey Valveking 212 Combo: Tons of gain. Good metal sound even with low volumens. Noiseless. The worst is that I am not sure to have a big step forward in tone quality in comparison with Marshall Valvestate 8080.

- Bogner Alchemist HD: I am not really sure if I like it or not because I just listen other guy plaking the guitar in front of me. With high gain I felt that It was noisy. Better with cleaner tones. But as I say I am not very sure. I have to give a try myself with my guitar.

- Line6 Spider Valve. I thing it is perfect if you need variety of sounds. It is not my case.

I just need 2 sounds. Clean and classic metal distortion. In spite of the people criticism, I have been happy with Marshall Valvestate 8080 for 17 years and I think it is a GOOD amp for metal. Now I want to improve my sound.

I want to check Blackstar Series One too because yo can regulate the power amp. Engl and Marshall aswell for their very good reputation..

Then I will decide one of them.

Thanks for your support.

Finally I have bought a Blackstar HT-5 Mini-Stack. I have traied differents amps (Orange Tiny Terror, Voz Nightrain, Eganter Rebel 20, Valveking 212 Combo) and I have chosed this one for his very good quality/price ratio IMO. I think it is a very good option for metal sounds and home recording. However, it is not for clean tones.

When I have tested more time my new amp I will post my opinion about it.

Thanks friends for your support.

Another suggestion is check out the new Peavey 5150 mkIII or the Bogner Uber. Both are brutal amp's. Plenty of chunk while still being very clean, not muddy. You can't go wrong with either choice. Sevendust used the 5150 mkIII's on their new album & they sound amazing. 1 listen to the opening track (Splinter) & you'll see what I mean. ;)

Hi guitarguru777:

IMO I do not like clean channel very much. E.g. I prefer clean channel of my Marshall Valvestate 8080. Just an opinnion.

However, I like clean tones of channel. But the strongest point of HT-5 is the distorted sounds IMO.

One question: How do you think it is the best way to put the 2 cabs for recording? I mean, where do you put the mic and which position would you put the 2 cabs?

Another question: I think for recording it is very good for the mixing that the guitar sound has a lot of mids. But, in your post you said that you like to play with mids at 0. So you think your configuration would be OK for recording?

Thanks and best regards.

One question: How do you think it is the best way to put the 2 cabs for recording? I mean, where do you put the mic and which position would you put the 2 cabs?

You just use 1 cabinet. I also think the cabs it comes with are not the best for recording. The 10 inch speakers are small compared to the standard speakers most metal guys use which are 12 inch. Also they put out a very "bright" tone. The head sounds better when hooked up to a 4x12 cabinet.

You would set up 1 microphone on 1 of the cabinets. Most of us usually mic with 1 SM57 just off of the cone parallel to the front of the cabinet.

Another question: I think for recording it is very good for the mixing that the guitar sound has a lot of mids. But, in your post you said that you like to play with mids at 0. So you think your configuration would be OK for recording?

Depending on the amp you can play with the mids at 0. The 5150 and most high gain amps today have a very mid heavy sound. Especially when paired with a 4x12 cabinet with vintage 30 speakers. I run the blackstar with mids at 0 due to the fact that I can use the ISF control to dial them back in and fine tune the tone a bit more. The ISF control only works on the HT5 when the mids are turned down. It acts as a kind of parametric EQ to fine tune the sound.