Getting a new guitar amp and...

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
...I have a small budget, approx. 300-400€

Not a large list in these prices and the first amp that came to my mind was Orange Tiny Terror. Not sure that this one is exactly what I need tho. Someone posted some really convincing clips with a Jet City 100H on this forum so it's also another and actually better option.

To be clearer, I'm looking for a 5150 sounding amp, not fizzy a la Engl.

Ideas?

----
edit: I've seen VHT Special-12/20H, H&K Tubemeister 5, Blackstar HT-5RH and a Marshall Class 5 head. They fit the price but I don't know them.

Sure and I saw some stuff today. Marshall JCM 2000 for 500€, never played on this amp tho. The best one would be a 5150 III mini but nobody sells it! Also a Laney VH100RN for 450€, a Carvin Legacy Steve Vai VL 100 for 400€ and a Blackstar HT100 for 500€.

What do you think?

Oh and it's for recording purpose only, no gig.

Thanks man! Yep, I've already seen the thread ;)
I think this amp is a pretty good deal so I'm gonna buy it! Don't know the other amps and the JC sounds really good on all clip I heard.

a Bugera 6260. Doesnt sound the same, but its pretty nice, i own one, works perfectly, no troubles at all. Although i hope to replace it with a 6505 soon.

I had a Bugera 333xl once but I've been amazed by the sound nor by the construction itself. Pretty fragile.
I was wondering if the mini Blackstars are good or not.

Honestly for not too much more you should be able to get a used 5150 head*
Waiting and saving a bit longer for exactly what you want would be worth it if possible.

*Unless a used 5150 is really high in Europe. Can anyone confirm the street price in the OP's area?

Used 6505, or get a 6505+ 112 and convert to a head if you don't want the cab (the 2 vs. 4 tube difference is almost nonexistent, volume-wise it's a few dB at most, the tone is just slightly brighter and could easily be compensated for with tubes/EQ/etc.).

See here for a good comparison:

Personally I actually prefer the 112 for its extra "edge". It also sounds better at lower volumes doe to it being 60W vs. 120W.

Orange and Blackstar are both great but might not get you the tone you want, and I'm not sure their more affordable models are high wattage enough (20-40W usually). Orange tend towards more classic rock style tones while Blackstar are more versatile but (in my opinion) kind of jacks-of-all-trades, masters of none. Both will have way, way better cleans than the 6505/5150, which might be worth taking into consideration if you can only afford one amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if the mini Blackstars are good or not.

I own one of these aswell. Got Blackstar HT-5, it sounds pretty decent. If you want an amp for recording on low volume, maybe you should get a mini-head. When doing the mixing practices from here, it is harder for me to get a good tone from my triple X or bugera then from the blackstar.

Used 6505s are also like 700 euro here. I guess its close to 600£..

Should probably put some vids up but the Jet City 100 HDM ( depth mod and power 50/100 option is amazing for the price - I owned a soldano hot rod 100+ and it is essentially the same amp just made in china - to my ears sounds the same... boost this with a maxon 808 or good tube screamer clone and your on your way - a more open 3d organic sound than a 5150 and loads more tones available and can totally get metal

here here bro! monster of an amp with so much more to offer - easily modified as well and less stuff to go wrong - ( parts locally obtainable as well) built like a tank - put onetics trannys in it and your damn near a full slo. Best amp purchase ever for me after spending over 30k on amps in the last 8 years... just need an axefx now

I own a 5150 and love it. However, the clips I heard of the Jet City 100h on here sound great! So does the Marshall Jvm. In fact if I were to ever get a new amp it would be one of those two.
Since you're on a budget I'm gonna agree with everyone on here. Save up for a 5150 or get a Jet City. Enjoy!