Help me to choose a guitar amp!

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Well, I have a Jet City 100 and a Savage 120 and I want to buy another guitar amp to get different tones.

Budget: around 700€ max.
What I'm looking for: tube amp or transistor amp but something really metal, I mean no Tiny Terror or stuff like that.

I cannot try anything at my place so what I would like here is just your advices, opinions on amps that you know and could fit my needs & budget. I'm checking these ones right now: Randall RH-150-G3Plus Head, Randall RG 1503 Head ; H&K Attax 100 Head, H&K TubeMeister 36 Head ; Laney IRT120H Ironheart ; Blackstar ID60 TVP-H ; Marshall JMD50... but, again, I can try anything for the moment. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I built my own marshall head for around 700 bucks. It was my first build. It is a similar spec to what Curt Mitchell used.

I was about to buy an used 5150 in great condition but the sell has been aborted. And yes, I was thinking a used 6505 too but I'm also curious to have some feedback about different amps before I make any decision.

PS: are original 5150 and 6505 really similar? Do they have exactly the same sound or not?

Laney Ironheart is a great amp, Ola, Keith Merrow and Fred Brum have all posted stuff on youtube using them.

Also have a look at the EVH 5153 Mini, 3 great sounds in one amp!

Laney Ironheart is a great amp, Ola, Keith Merrow and Fred Brum have all posted stuff on youtube using them.

Also have a look at the EVH 5153 Mini, 3 great sounds in one amp!

To be honest, I'm looking at the EVH 5153 mini for a while now but it's a bit too much expensive for me (I def cannot spend more than 700/750€) and it's pretty rare to see one used for sale. If a seller is reading this, email me! I would buy it for sure!! :Spin:

5150/6505/6260 are the same and are preferred

5150 II/6505+/6262 are the same

the bugera models have some slight changes, like reverb instead of resonance (the resonance is fixed instead of adjustable)

Definitely would have to say go look for a second have 5150 II/6505+.

That's your best bet around that price.

If you weren't looking for something just for metal i would say you should check out a carvin V3.

Very very versatile amp and very underrated. The gain characteristics aren't as great as the peavey but it keeps up and the cleans are incredible.

I DON'T LIKE THE 5150!!!. Waaaaaay to much mids. Never got it to work in a mix, except once in a rock mix :D

Peavey JSX best amp ever, got great cleans good for rythm and solo. If you still want to go the 5150 route be shure you get the new EVH 5150 III, sounds much better then the old one.

To be honest, I'm looking at the EVH 5153 mini for a while now but it's a bit too much expensive for me (I def cannot spend more than 700/750€) and it's pretty rare to see one used for sale. If a seller is reading this, email me! I would buy it for sure!! :Spin:

Just bought one. I wasn't OMG this is the best amp ever first time i plugged it in but it has worked great on leads for me. Gonna give it another shoot for sure on rythm.

Sounds way smoother and better then the old n' crappy 5150.

If you weren't looking for something just for metal i would say you should check out a carvin V3.

Very very versatile amp and very underrated. The gain characteristics aren't as great as the peavey but it keeps up and the cleans are incredible.

Sounds very interesting! Yes I'm looking for a real metal amp but if I can get something brutal AND rock sounds and great cleans with the V3, then it's an option! After your post, I searched for it and saw one in great condition for 700€ (I think there's a cab with it, nor sure tho) What do you think?

@Crillemannen: Thanks for your opinion. The 5150/6505 is a standard that is loved by many guitarists and fit almost every kinds of metal tho so maybe it's always a good thing to have one in the studio?!

I am not sure about solid-states but if we're talking about all-tubes, new and really metal then there are not many choices except the bugeras and the ironheart.

Just remembered..I've heard good things about this solid state: AMT Stonehead SH-50-4