Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
I'm getting my defective amp traded in for a Blackstar HT-100H (thanks to wonderful extended warranties! :D), just wondering if anybody likes this amp (Just scroll down a couple posts on the Equipment page, and you will see what amp I am trading in, I just don't want to start another flaming war about those amps.)
The main reason I'm getting it is because the amp I am trading in, I got it for about $400 brand new (which is $200 off of retail), and I'm getting this Blackstar which is $850 new, completely free of charge. I am mainly just getting it for the money, so I can flip it and sell it as brand new (because it essentially is) and make roughly $300-350 profit (say I sold it for about 700-750), to get a 6505 or something. But I wanna know if this will be something I will wanna keep as a gigging and recording amp? I'll have it by later tonight and see, but just wanted to know what the general consensus was, and if there were any clips (I may get a different chasis for it though, because I absolutely HATE the vintage Marshall looking ones, which this one has).

Thanks guys.

The big question is what type of tone are you looking for. If you are looking for anything "modern" and "sneapish" sell it and get the 6505 or a used 5150.

Sucks that your Bugera gave you so many issues. I really love mine :(

Well I play alot of stuff, granted mostly metal, but I try to be very eclectic with my playing.

And yea, I loved my Bugera, but it was just getting over the top, and the fact that I am getting this which is twice what I payed for it, completely for free, I couldn't really pass it up. Like I said, I may just flip it and sell it for profit.

So I got the amp Tuesday night (last night), and I've only had a very limited amount of time to fiddle with this amp, but it seems to holding up very well.

Here's a little test I did (almost no EQ except HP/LP and Maxon OD9 in front of the amp) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12371393/Rose-Sharyn Blackstar.mp3

So far I really like this amp, and am probably going to keep it. The only thing I don't like about it is the amp's mids have a very weird presence to them, but I guess it just gives the amp character. Looking back at it, I probably could have used a bit more gain (I had it at about 5.5).

Definitely gonna have to scoop out some core mids and drop the low pass a little lower too.
Keep toying around with it, seems like it may have some potential.
What cab were you running for this clip man?

I like the HT-100 a lot. Blackstar's build-quality seems excellent. The amps sound awesome. And, IMO, that HT-100 is the best 100 watt tube head you can get for $850, hands down. It's the next thing on my list, after which is the 5150 III.

Yea, like I said there isn't much EQ because I wanted to see how the amp really sounded.

and Tommy- I got the amp for about $400, which is an absolutely amazing deal (at the cost of my Bugera though)
Still contemplating on getting the extended warranty on it (I have until the end of the month), but since Sam Ash honored the warranty I bought with my Bugera amazingly well, I am probably going to spend the extra $$ just to be sure.

I wouldn't expect Blackstar amp's to ever have really any build quality issues since they replaced Marshall in the korg company. And pretty much any korg/vox/marshall product usually had really good build quality and were pretty reliable :). Hope you enjoy the new amp bro!