Guitar EQ with Vintech X81 EQ

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I have to say : WOOOW
I'm blown away !

I recently recorded an Engl Powerball tone with a 57 and Royer in front on my Bogner Uberkab, using an OD-808. The raw tone is cool, a bit too much compressed maybe. We used a Vigier Excalibur with passive Seymour pickups. It has that Engl typical agressive midrange.
I began to mix the songs a bit some days ago and found the recorded tone had too much of muddy 400 Hz and agressive 3-4 khz.
Yesterday I did some tests using my Vintech X81 mic pre/EQ and routed the guitar bus to the EQ, then recording it back to my DAW. I just applied filters on individual mics before (keeping only 60 Hz to 12 khz frequencies).
I did the following : lowcut @ 50 Hz, boost @ 100 Hz, cut @ 390 Hz, cut @ 3,7 khz, boost @ 6,7 khz.
Now the tone is way more creamy and smooth, I really dig it, even if I'm sure it can be a bit better, but it's amazing how a great EQ can do amazing things on guitars !!
I'll post the raw and EQed clips this afternoon :headbang:

Oooo, looking forward to the clips dude. I started reading it, but didn't see a link. Immediately I thought: "How can he tease us and not post clips!?" Then I read the rest of the post, hah.

-Joe