Guitar for Drop B Tuning

CraigJohnsJr

MASSiVE- Guitarist
Feb 18, 2014
NY
www.facebook.com
I currently have a PRS Custom 24 and I'm selling it because it doesn't handle Drop B as nicely as I'd like to. I've set it up, filed the nut, fixed the bridge, etc etc and it just doesn't work. I need something I can tour with that's going to absolutely slay Drop B, not just barely make it happen. I was looking at the ESP Eclipse-I CTM FT. I've played the Eclipse-II plenty of times and it seems to hold up in Drop B very well. The only thing that concerns me, is the 24.75" scale length. I don't like the look of the M series as much, but I hear that should be better for down-tuned guitars with it's 25.5" scale length. The only other way I can really imagine going is with the Jim Root Tele (totally different feel but I still dig it) which is 25.5" or an Ibanez FR or RG, though I've heard bad things about the quality of Ibanez. I can spend around 2G, and I'm playing metalcore. What do you think? Go!

What do you mean "handle"?

The Custom 24 is such a fine guitar if it's not an SE version. I bet it's just a matter of setup, right string gauge, and right pickups.

The quality of Ibanez Prestige has been impeccable in my experience. Non-Prestige Ibanez are indeed more inconsistent, but so are all the cheaper guitars.

I currently have a PRS Custom 24 and I'm selling it because it doesn't handle Drop B as nicely as I'd like to. I've set it up, filed the nut, fixed the bridge, etc etc and it just doesn't work. I need something I can tour with that's going to absolutely slay Drop B, not just barely make it happen. I was looking at the ESP Eclipse-I CTM FT. I've played the Eclipse-II plenty of times and it seems to hold up in Drop B very well. The only thing that concerns me, is the 24.75" scale length. I don't like the look of the M series as much, but I hear that should be better for down-tuned guitars with it's 25.5" scale length. The only other way I can really imagine going is with the Jim Root Tele (totally different feel but I still dig it) which is 25.5" or an Ibanez FR or RG, though I've heard bad things about the quality of Ibanez. I can spend around 2G, and I'm playing metalcore. What do you think? Go!

I use a 2013 Custom 24 with the 57/08 pickups and alternate between Db Standard and Drop B and it sounds great. The string gauge I use is 56-44-32-21w-14-11. Feels tight and sounds crystal clear. What's the issue you're having?

Edit:

Here's some prepro I did with the Custom24 and old string. Amp was Legion and Hybrit with redwirez mesa impulse, sm57 off center 4".

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Ibanez S I can't get away with anything below a .60 on the low Bb. Just feels like a noodle and way too much BAOW.

Maybe you should look into a baritone guitar? For me it mostly boils down to the neck shape on most guitars. I cant deal with the D shape well, which is why Schecters are out for me.

I've been using 12-56 strings for a while and had it set up for B but it doesn't feel tight. I was at a studio recently and discovered that when I pick it's sharp, and when it rings out it's flat. This could be for several reasons but nonetheless, I want to find a guitar that feels like it's meant to be played drop tuned, thick stringed, and metal as all hell. In particular, I've grown fond of the Eclipses but I'm worried about the short neck length. I've heard great things about ESP guitars in general (not the LTDs), and I'm wondering if that'd be my best bet for finding something more suited to what I'm doing. Or, do you think the PRS is definitely the best way to go, and I'm misguided?

I've been using 12-56 strings for a while and had it set up for B but it doesn't feel tight. I was at a studio recently and discovered that when I pick it's sharp, and when it rings out it's flat. This could be for several reasons but nonetheless, I want to find a guitar that feels like it's meant to be played drop tuned, thick stringed, and metal as all hell. In particular, I've grown fond of the Eclipses but I'm worried about the short neck length. I've heard great things about ESP guitars in general (not the LTDs), and I'm wondering if that'd be my best bet for finding something more suited to what I'm doing. Or, do you think the PRS is definitely the best way to go, and I'm misguided?

Obviously its all a matter of preference first and foremost.

I personally love my PRS and the string gauge I have is great for me. I use the Green Standard tortex picks and I like to think I have a pretty aggressive pick style and it doesn't seem to have any kind of pitch issues.

If I were in your situation, I would take it to a professional to get it set up for Drop B, maybe even send it to the PRS PTC guys. Since that's much cheaper than buying a whole new guitar. If its still not how you want it, then it may be time to part with it.

I have an old Ibanez RG 450dx in white from the 90s with white EMG 81x/60x, black grover tuners, and a black original FR if you'd want to trade. Not even, but it was worth a shot :rolleyes:

Your PRS should be able to handle drop B tuning just fine. I have a PRS Custom 22 that I use in drop C. The only thing with a shorter scale guitar is is that you have to compensate with heavier string gauge. If you're dead set on a new guitar, my advice would be to look into a baritone scale guitar (27").

Time and time again when people complain about pitch and setup issue is low tunings is almost 99.9% pick technique. I have known guys who use a 70 or even up to 80 in drop B and still have pitch issues, most of them always shocked to find that I was using 11-54 in drop B and had no pitch issues.

I moved up to building my own custom set of stainless steel 12-60 for a tad bit more stability and a more girthy tone because my guitar sounds a little weak especially on the plain strings for clean stuff and I wanted something more even in tension on the bottom to compliment. Spent hours doing mass and tension calculations to get the perfect set. I can't hit the strings hard enough to go out of pitch, at least with the way that I pick. I could pick like an idiot and make it go out of pitch but defeats the purpose. I also play with a floyd and they love to go really flat on all the other strings when you hit another one too hard and if I don't have problems using heavy ass jazz III picks...yeah its all in the pick hand.

A 25.5 inch scale PRS can do drop B if setup properly, any 25.5 in scale can, the only factor in the guitar is how it sounds as a tonewood and how it feels. If it feels good and sounds good it can do just about any reasonable tuning.

Absolutely would never touch an Eclipse or any short scale guitar for anything under drop Db. I don't like them in any tunning, feels way to cramped, baritones feel way to spacious, cramp the hands and even with equivalent string tension the strings still feel too stiff, even when the strings are flopping like crazy, still can't bend for shit.

work on your pick hand, try a set of 12-60 or something similar. If you don't want to go custom try out the GHS 10-60 boomers, or the DR DDT-12. My custom set is D'Addario Pro Steel 12-16-20p-30-40-60, the 60 is a bass string and the plain are just regular plain. Costs about $20 with shipping but is completely worth it, they last much longer, much longer than crummy nickel and they sound better. Get something heavy, work on your pick technique, get your guitar setup by someone who knows how to properly set up a guitar for low tuned metal.

Something to also keep in mind I find people that have their action too high are more likely to have bad picking, as if you hit the string too hard you won't get much fret buzz however if you have low action and your picking is bad that would cause sharp attack in the notes, you will have severe fret buzz and it makes you more aware of your technique. High action also causes intonation to go out the window because the extra tension you have to apply stretching the string causes it to go sharp and since the ratio of tension to pitch is not linear relative to string mass, even though two strings were stretched equally from fretting the same fret, one fret will be more sharp or more flat than the other, and even if they are in pitch with each other, chances are, they aren't in pitch with your 12th fret harmonic or open fret. If you have to press down too hard because of high action over pressing the string against the fret not only ruins the fret lowering fret life but also causes you to stretch the string more against the space from the fret and the fretboard, more pitch drift over time. It also doesn't help that you first fret the string harder when you first play the note and let off as the chord or note sustains, furthering the extreme between a sharp attack and a flattening decay.

So repeat after me: Setup and technique, setup and technique. Rinse and repeat until it registers.

My PRS Cstm 24 doesn't do drop B very well at all.
Intonation is bad so it's out of tune up the neck, even with saddles back as far as they will go.
My 2 Charvels handle drop B pretty well but..

My ESP M1 NTB does it perfect.
I use 12s and a 58 low string and it tunes perfectly with good string tension and perfect intonation.
I think it is due to its rigidity being neck through, 25 1/2" scale and strung through body.
Once set up it will hold perfect tuning too without the need to constantly tune and drop in. You can do a take for a whole song then it will still be in tune with the tuner.
So a guitar with 25 1/2" scale (or longer) with good solid construction, fixed bridge and strung through body will get you very good results.

Imo any semi-pro to pro level guitar can be set up to handle lower tunings. Most of the popular models get used by one or the other touring band that tunes down so it's got to be possible. How much you'll have to customize is a different story. The type of bridge on the PRS isn't exactly low-tune friendly in my experience but I still think it can be done. If your riffs allow for it stay on the lower frets since the higher ones are usually easier to spot as out of tune if you can't get your intonation to 100%. Obviously if you don't mind going for a longer scale it's a no-brainer.
The Eclipse CTM-1 is a damn fine guitar. It may even be the finest I've ever played. Although it wasn't the FT model and it wasn't tuned down so I can't give any input in regards to that. Where are you located? Certainly not in the US if you can get your hands on one of these. ;) Afaik Peter from Hypocrisy played the Eclipse for a while (I think it was the II) and he didn't seem to have a problem tuning down. They play in standard B most of the time if I'm not mistaken. He's using the EX these days with equally good results it seems.
Btw are you aware that the FT model is thicker (and heavier)? I'm not sure that's what you want if you plan on going really low since you are risking a muddy tone, especially with a set neck.

I think it is due to its rigidity being neck through, 25 1/2" scale and strung through body.
Once set up it will hold perfect tuning too without the need to constantly tune and drop in. You can do a take for a whole song then it will still be in tune with the tuner.

I was getting ready to say that the only way that a guitar couldn't handle a low tuning was due to the trussrod being too flexible and either the wood being too flexible or having too much joint flex in non neck-thru guitars.

PRS guitars though have some dense dry wood so I can't imagine them being too flexible.

I would really like to play a standard 24 in drop B now.

I have a custom Eclipse FT and it doesn't do drop B well.
If you are looking at proper made in Japan ESP, you should get an M1 NTB or Horizon NT.
Either of these should handle it no problem.
String through body gives the extra tension you need for stability

I have a custom Eclipse FT and it doesn't do drop B well.
If you are looking at proper made in Japan ESP, you should get an M1 NTB or Horizon NT.
Either of these should handle it no problem.
String through body gives the extra tension you need for stability

What's wrong with it in B? Please elaborate

There is a lot good information but some mis-information in this thread as well. The PRS in question is 25" not 25.5." Some nuts definitely need to be recut to support bigger strings, however some bridges lack the adjustment range necessary to support proper intonation at lower tunings and with some string sets. Also, the thicker the string, the darker the tone so you can go thick (strings) rather than long (scale) but there is a tone trade off. The neck construction is obviously huge as some have mentioned, but IME the combo of LP scale, huge frets and low tunings can be a nightmare (24.75" ESP's for example). Obviously YMMV.