Guitar impulses????????

Klosure

Nov 26, 2009
Am I doing something wrong.

I've tried the catharsis impulses but..

I cant get on with them, in fact I am suffering a lot here.

I recently mixes a heavy track and it sounded great but obviously real amps they had far more roomy vibe to the sound. I am not talking much but the guitars are just... thinner in a good way that they are easier to mold in and fit.

But impulses are so harsh and close.. and no I am not confused between wet and dry, I go 100% wet.

I've been messing around lately with the AcmeBarGig CabEnhancer, seems to get a lot of the harshness away. It makes my impulses a bit too dark even if I don't use the eq to boost the high end significantly.

Sort of, but a shitload of guys here are using ampsims and impulses, it's just that there are tons upon tons of threads about using impulses, how to get the best sounds, many different approaches, discussions on how to EQ them... it goes on and on. Just search around you will find anything you need to know, there is nothing special about your situation because we've had 1,200 other guys ask the same exact questions about using the different Catharsis impulses. Not trying to be rude but that's why nobody has bothered to chime in, they already have discussed it in those 1,200 other threads of the same thing.

Sort of, but a shitload of guys here are using ampsims and impulses, it's just that there are tons upon tons of threads about using impulses, how to get the best sounds, many different approaches, discussions on how to EQ them... it goes on and on. Just search around you will find anything you need to know, there is nothing special about your situation because we've had 1,200 other guys ask the same exact questions about using the different Catharsis impulses. Not trying to be rude but that's why nobody has bothered to chime in, they already have discussed it in those 1,200 other threads of the same thing.

+1. We've had 14million "Why my tones suck with impulses and yours dont" threads, no need to start another one

Real amps do sound more roomy because there's a room involved. Why this debate/dilemna still comes up is a mystery to me. Why do my fake amps sound fake?:lol: Just accept it for what it is, and of course build a real guitar rig in the meantime. Getting a Roadster 2x12 pretty soon here yaaaaay.:headbang:

ok sorry ill do some searching

Allway search before posting a question. Never asume you are the first posting a specific question. And if you do find a question no one asked before then go ahead and post in a thread with similar Q&A if there is one. If not, make a new thread. People here have little patient and indulgence with same questions posted again and again and again in new threads and it gives mods extrawork they could have spent on better and more important things. Its for everyone's best to search first. Just a friendly advice.:)

You may want to try the beta of this..Its called iFace

MainPosting.png

(Running on a single core P4 3ghz machine with 1 GB of ram)

Its a cab interface designed for Redwirez impulses. Basically you point it to where your Redwires impulses are and it autoloads the file based on the movements of the controls. So as you move the mic away to say 6 inches, it loads the 6" away from cab impulse.
RedwirezPath%20copy.png

It also has a built in eq and handles ambient mics as well. This version opnly supports the freeware Marshall Cab from Redwirez but the commercial version handles the whole library(185,000 IR files, or so)

Yes we have one planned for recab too..(I know you're going to ask).
iFace is available at our forums.
KM

@Salvation 13, Try messing with the Cut and Res more so than the eq of Cab enhancer. Whatever is passed through these controls moves on to the EQ section, so if the cut has removed too many frequencies, the EQ has less to go on.
Hope that helps
KM

@arin Try it and let us know your thoughts, It can only improve with input..:)
iFace is one of the VST plugs in the Cab suite we're releasing. There is also MeCab(Recab interface), Litany which is a 3d representation of a cab and room, this is mostly for our room modeling libraries. We have IR libraries coming that have generated each place in a room using a grid one foot by one foot. So every position on that grid has an IR that represents what it would sound like if the mic were at X and the cab was at Y. You soecify the positions by simply moving the mic and cab to wherever you want. Litany also contains our Psuedo room modeling, so you can specify things like wall coverings and flooring with it.
It works on any cab IR, you need only the Room libs
Here's a rough development screenshot of Litany
LitanyInterface.jpg

There is also the Filtered cabs, which are essentially Cab enhancer with mathematical models of speakers.

@Salvation 13, The new filtered cabs in Head Case(Shred 2) pretty much have the Cab enhancer built in, but we have also included math models of various speakers. So the harshness that you would sometimes get from using the CE as its own cab have been removed to a great degree.