help using guitar impulses

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
So I got redwirez impulses after hearing how amazing they are, but I am having trouble figuring out what I am doing wrong... I open up Guitar Rig within Reaper, load a preamp (for example the rammfire one...don't even know if I need to do this or not...), then I load up LeCab within Reaper, and browse to the folders where all the impulses are at in my documents/mixir2/library/..etc. and select one. (all the files are named the same thing too so how the hell am i supposed to know which to choose...)When I play guitar now it just doesn't sound that amazing and I'm sure that I am forgetting a step or something. And now I am noticing that redwirex has its own VST plugin that I can load...so I am just very confused, and I have tried reading all the FAQ for impulses on this forum and still can't figure it out.

Is guitar rig going into the impulse in the signal chain? Do you have the monitor button on in the track panel? Signal chain should look like guitar rig > preamp (cab emulation off)> lecab. Also, what is your signal chain going into the box? What are you using to capture your guitar signal?

My guitar is running into a line 6 pod gx, which is hooked to my computer via USB. I open up Reaper, and load guitar rig VST onto a new track, and hit arm and set it to stereo input. At this point I can hear and play guitar rig. I dont know what it means to bypass the cabinet, but what I gathered was that I should create an amp, and then disable everything but the very top part of it. Not sure if it matters which preamp i choose either...kind of confused about this..
Next, in the FX window of reaper, I click on add FX, and I add the LeCab VST which comes in right below guitar rig. At this point I don't hear anything when I play. I then click on the browse folder in LeCab, and find a .wav file from the redwirez folder. There are a bunch of folders that say like "44.1 Khz-16bit", "96 KHz-24bit", etc... and inside of those are folders called "Marshall 1960A-G12Ms" and then a bunch of folder named after microphones... and inside each of one of those are like 50 wav files. I have no idea which one I should be choosing and I have just been choosing blindly. So, once I select one I can hear my guitar again. It just doesnt sound full or heavy though. Not sure what I am doing wrong...

So I got redwirez impulses after hearing how amazing they are, but I am having trouble figuring out what I am doing wrong... I open up Guitar Rig within Reaper, load a preamp (for example the rammfire one...don't even know if I need to do this or not...), then I load up LeCab within Reaper, and browse to the folders where all the impulses are at in my documents/mixir2/library/..etc. and select one. (all the files are named the same thing too so how the hell am i supposed to know which to choose...)When I play guitar now it just doesn't sound that amazing and I'm sure that I am forgetting a step or something. And now I am noticing that redwirex has its own VST plugin that I can load...so I am just very confused, and I have tried reading all the FAQ for impulses on this forum and still can't figure it out.

an IR can help you to get a good direct recording sound out of a guitar preamp, modeler or whatever, it does not make everything sound "amazing" instantly. i don'T think that it is a technical quesion. take a few hours and try different IR's, different combinations and settings. there is so much great info on the web and especially on this forum, sit down and READ, read and learn.

cheers
S.

Well I just wanted to make sure that my setup is correct... because every impulse I click on sounds the exact same as the others... for example i just tried opening up recabinet after guitar rig instead, and there is absolutely no effect when I switch between cabinets...i think something is setup wrong and i cant figure it out

Hey X14Halo,

I am pretty new to this forum, just signed up 2 days ago and let me tell you, it is the best forum on the planet.....

To your problem... if you use Lecab 1, make sure you have it set to EXT IR, so you see the name of the impulse you are loading. Might be stupid, but it happend to me....