Guitar Intonation

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
yesterday I tried to improve the setup of my guitar, expecially the intonation.
I have a Schecter C1 Dtuned with GHS Zakk Wylde 10-60 and I set correctly every string, but not the 6th string. I have the 6th saddle at "the end of the bridge" and the note at 12th fret is little higher yet than the note it should be.
Is it normal with heavy gauge on 25.5 scale downtuned guitars?

yeah man, sometimes for me the intonation can be tricky.
For instance my g string (tuned to 'F') just wasn't sitting right and it was as far back as it would go, I changed strings and moved the bridge saddle right to the front and tried again and had it intonated in about 5 mins( and I didn't have to move it that much)

So either when moving the bridge you can 'over shoot' quite easily, or I'm insane :erk:

I use the korg dtr-2000 :headbang:

Are they new strings? If not, it might just be an old string loosing it's tension. You can alter the action to help - raising it will have the same effect as moving the saddle towrds the bridge (I think, it might be the other way round) - it's not ideal but if you want it perfect it might be the only way. If by 6th string you mean the lowest, then I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's close, to my ears at least it's a lot less noticable on the low strings..

I set up my Floyd Rose for the first time the other day, only to discover that on this particular one you can only set the saddles in two different places. How crappy is that? Grr!

Steve

I am in standard D.
I want to set the intonation because if I tune to C the tuner works very bad with open 6th string and I should tune playing at 12th fret...

::XeS:: said:
I am in standard D.
I want to set the intonation because if I tune to C the tuner works very bad with open 6th string and I should tune playing at 12th fret...
The C1 has a locking tune-o-matic right? i had to flip the bridge on my esp, which gave me just that milimeter more of room to work with which got my string to perfect intonation.....

There are also a few other things you can do, like raise the action or adjust the truss rod a bit, but I wouldn't mess with that if you don't know what you are doing...

The C1 has the Tone pros bridge...the last three saddles are flipped, and I can go at limit of available space.
The truss rod is perfect now...I try to raise a bit the action

I was taught when I wuz a youngin to always put new strings on a guitar , do a setup as in intonation, action, and truss rod, let the guitar sit overnight then tweak it the next day. I don't mean everytime ou change strings just when it needs a setup.
Maybe that will help?
I really think guitars have their own personalities and sometimes take differently to adjustments and climate.