[guitar setup] going from 12-54 to 13-62 in B standard tuning

Jan 10, 2011
So I finally found 13-6# strings in my damn country so that I can get better sustain and intonation. My guitar is a Schecter C1 Hellraiser (25.5") and I tune it in B standard. What should I do to move to the new strings. I am sure I have to adjust the truss rod, but how much? Does anyone have any setup ebooks like "the ultimate guide to perfect bass setup" by Jerzy Drozd? And last, can I damage my guitar for going for such a high guage? I mean, the strings with 12-54 are quite awfull, really light, when I pluck the lower notes go out of tune and sustain is kinda shitty.

pd: tune-o-matic fixed bridge.

First of all check the action..probably it should be raised using these strings. If the action is too low, strings touch too much the frets along the fretboard. I have my action 4mm high at 24th fret.
At the end you have to check the truss rod. Press the string at 1st and 24th fret and check how much high is the string at 10th fret...if it's less than 1mm it should be ok (a credit card thickness should pass from the string and the fret). If the string is too high you've to lower the neck so turn the truss rod 1/8 clock wise, wait 20 minutes and recheck the string. Viceversa if the string touch the fret and some other parts you have to raise the neck so 1/8 counter clockwise and recheck.
Another way to check if the neck is too low is playing all the strings in the first frets...if they touch the fretboard you have to raise the neck

It takes at least 24 hour before the neck is adjusted. So small steps with the trussrod. And you probably need to have the nut to be filed too with thicker strings. If you dont know what you are doing, leave it to a pro.

definitely find a good luthier in your area. You can really mess up your axe if you don't know what you're doing. Like someone said above, leave it to a pro. Most professionals will use an oscilloscope and lasers to make sure intonation and everything is perfectly in-tune.