guitar layering boominess, how do u get rid of it?

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
Just got my Sennheiser e906, currently testing it out together with my sm57.
I've been trying to search for this but can't find anything else about this...
(although I'm quite sure this must've been discussed before?)
Anyway here's the example:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/970622/layeringtest.mp3

first is sm57 only, second is e906 only, last is both (which has less treble and more bass)
ofcourse you can eq some stuff out of it or take one of the mics and do it -10 db, but I wish to stay to the frequencies of the single recordings.
Wondering how u guys do it?

Calippo: why do you want to "stay to the frequencies of the single recordings"? If I learned one thing in the last 15years then it's that being dogmatic about audio and trying to do it with preconceived notions or strategies rarely ever works ...

Calippo: why do you want to "stay to the frequencies of the single recordings"? If I learned one thing in the last 15years then it's that being dogmatic about audio and trying to do it with preconceived notions or strategies rarely ever works ...

Well you're right, but it's very hard for me to break through it. Currently trying to just use my ears and how my guitars should fit the mix (currently working on tone competition 3)
it's kinda weird though to hear your guitars soloed sound kinda weird but fit better in the mix then when you had those 'nice' soloed guitars that won't fit as good.