Guitar Pedals

Dante's Inferno

Demon Of The Fall
Nov 27, 2005
Blackwater Park, Norway
I've been wanting to buy some sort of guitar pedalboard (not just wah, delay, but a big package). I tried a Line 6 PodXT Live today, but the sound wasn't really good. It sounded just like on the website, which is a good thing.

Atm I'm looking at a Boss GT8 on a website (which is the same brand as Opeth uses, right?) and it seems pretty good, but what do I know.

I really want with a bit of variation. I play metal, hard rock but also alot of cleans too.

Any recommendations?

The Gt 8 has pretty much everything you will ever need, and more... So if you want variation you should definately consider that one...

I run a Boss GT5, and I'm never really going to need anything else. The thing is a beast, and by beast, I mean

Beast.gif

As far as the bass pedalboards go, creating your own patches is far easier with the POD. And from what I've read of the Boss boards, it takes quite a while to get used to. So steep learning curve + the lack of tools to tackle it... that's if the guitar boards are anything like the bass ones.

I use a GNX3000 (Digitech). It's ok, but I find it hard to beat a good amp and some stomp boxes. I tried a GT8 out in a shop and found that it had way more than I would ever use. It has a lot of synth sounds that I pretty much find useless for my style.
I don't know, you might check out the Digitech GNX line. They get the job done for me.

In the end, all the digital pedalboard crap is the same. Thin and fake sounding. Go for the one with characteristics you like the most. If I was at gunpoint and had to purchase another pedalboard, I'd probably go for a second hand GT-6 or something, so by the time you realize how shit your sound is, you haven't wasted all that much cash.

Thanks for the advices, guys.

I'll probably wish for one at christmas, so there's plenty of time to find out what to buy.

I really liked that the Boss wasn't too expensive, too. Basically what I want is some effects (unique guitar sounds are always a +) and more than 4 different choose-able sounds (which is what I have now).

Btw, the 1-4 on the pedal is different sounds right? That sounded noobish. :)

I don't know, it sounds pretty good. The problem for me is that I don't have the best kind of amp (Line 6 Spider II), so even if the GT8 turns out to be good, I won't get the best sound. But I guess that's okey, cause I can buy a better amp later.

I just find something a bit redundant about running a digital pedalboard through a digital amp. At least if you run the GT-6/8 through a tube amp, as Opeth do, you get some of that color and your tone doesn't sound as monotonous as it would otherwise.

I know you're probably set in what you want, but I usually advocate a more bare-bones set-up. The digital pedal boards tend to give you an excess of features you'll never use rather than a few core sounds and features that sound tons better.

You said 'metal, hard rock but a lot of cleans too', I've heard the Peavey JSX head is fairly versatile, as well as being a tube amp which will be incomparable to digital emulations. Maybe just save up and grab yourself a solid core rig, rather than trying to shortcut the search to good tone?

Well, I'm certainly not set in my ways, and I certainly don't like 'digital' sound. As far as the Peavey goes, I'll think about it, but what I really wanted was something floor-based, which can be used in a live situation.

There's no doubt that I'll get rid of the Spider one day, it's just that wanna take the time and get good equipment, as I don't know much about amps or pedals or anything, really. But say I buy the Boss now, and buy a tube amp later, that would be good, right? Cause as a 16-year old, money is a limitation.

But great tips, Moonlapse (and everybody else of course).

I've had a bit of experience with a GT-6 through a couple of different valve amps, and in both cases found that it produced some nice distortion sounds and a few handy things like delay, chorus, flange etc, but the amp/cabinet emulation was hopeless and it absolutely killed the nice natural cleans of the valve amps.

In terms of value for money, they're great... but If it were my choice, I'd get a handful of seperate high-quality pedals each for a specific purpose.