Guitar players!!! I guess I have a stupid question about 7 string guitars.

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
O.K. I "dabble" with playing guitar and know a few chords like A, E, C, etc... and am aware of tunings such as "drop D", E, etc... My question is, what is the extra string on a 7 string guitar called??? It is it another D string??? Pardon my stupidity, but I mainly attempt to sing and write lyrics. Thanks in advance.

Zane

B ;) it's like --> E a d g b E -7 string-> B e a d g B e ->8 string -> G b e a d G b e
:p

Now to blow yer mind: Nile tunes to drop A. They use like 60 something gauge for the top string. They don't use 7 strings though; they just tune five strings down 2.5 steps and then drop the top string another step to be an octave lower than the fourth string.

I still don't know how they play with that setup.

it's a really cool tuning :lol: , you can do heavy and fast-shifting chords, like the burning pits of the duats.

sanders is known to use a fender stratocaster. boar out the string threading and you could easily fit a .60 gauge string in there. they tune to a in a lot of songs, so you'd definately need the heavy strings to stop the spaghetti factor.

Now to blow yer mind: Nile tunes to drop A. They use like 60 something gauge for the top string. They don't use 7 strings though; they just tune five strings down 2.5 steps and then drop the top string another step to be an octave lower than the fourth string.

I still don't know how they play with that setup.

That's fucking ghey :rolleyes:

Galiral, the usual 8 string (low 8) tuning is F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E, not G.

Zanex, you can think of it as a lower string or as a guitar tuned down a fourth (like Carcass, old Arch Enemy, At The Gates, countless other death and melodic death bands) with an additional high string. Mnemic actually tunes the whole bit down a fourth, so it's like a six-string tuned down a fourth with an additional lower string - F#-B-E-A-D-F#-B - on their newest album.

Nile is just nuts. They don't pound the hell out of the strings like a lot of other people do, but they sound good enough the way they do it. Loomis uses 10-70 for his seven, last I heard.

Jeff

I have one as well. It's got a very thick neck, but easy to get used too. One of the more heavier guitars I've played. Great tone, though.

my neck is slightly warped though when i got it, but i fixed it but plays well, just wished i could of waited for the floyd, but i couldn't resist.

i am friends with an owner of a music shop whom is a dealer and got me a good discount on the C-7, i traded in my KH-602 ( i miss the thing) and paid a few hundered on top for the C-7.

On a related note, I guess, I heard that Scott Ian of Anthrax has 5 string guitars and doesn't have the last/bottom E string. Don't know if anyone remembers a band called D.A.D. (Disnleyland After Dark) from the late 80's, but they had a bass player that only used 2 strings. John Myung and other bass players have 5-6-8 string basses, but I guess that should be another thread. Comments welcomed.