Guitar players!!! I guess I have a stupid question about 7 string guitars.

That would be an excellent choice. I've got a Blackjack myself, because I go for passives more, but if you're set on EMGs then have fun.

Jeff

I went with the C-7 Blackjack as well. I do play some jazz, and the jazz tone on this guitar is incredible. I'm not sure how well the EMGs would sound in the same situation. Plus I'm just more of a passive pickup kind of guy I guess. Haven't played any actives that I dig too much. And I'm not sure how down I am with the whole battery thing. I hate them enough with pedals (so I got a 9v chain to eliminate that). But even so, I'm sure the Hellraiser is a wonderful guitar. Whatever floats your boat really. I'm extremely pleased with my Blackjack. Schecter makes a great guitar. For being Korean made and mass produced, I don't think you can really do much better for your money aside from Carvin or something.

I have a Dean too, love it to death. However, Vai's 7 pickups are more effective than anything else that I've ever found at giving me an anti-boner and I would not recommend those to the worst of my enemies. D Activators or the D Sonic/Air Norton configuration would go well in that.

Jeff

If you only have a few chords down I recomend you master a 6 string before jumping to a 7. If not master at least get pretty damn used to a 6 string.

meshuggah using 9 string guitars doesn't make them good.

No, being Meshuggah makes them good.

The number of strings available is already arbitrary. What's to stop him from just using five strings, if mastering six is better than seven? What's so fucking magical about six? I don't want to hear more Limp Bizkit wankery than anyone else, but if I had seven strings available earlier I would have learned about expanded voicings and displacement a lot quicker.

Jeff

meshuggah rapes. end of discussion about meshuggah on this thread.
7 strings are awesome, i played a few at guitar center on saturday. There are really lots of things to do with them. For example you can play a riff you already wrote and develop it into a 6 string song, and then go on the low string for effect and take it the motherfucker down to the B string and destroy some more.

Personally I like it for the access of the extended scale tones if I want them, or being able to use the low note of a chord inversion where I might use that same note but an octave higher, or something like that. I consider it a "tool" of sorts more than anything. But chunking away on a skull-crushing, low-Bb Nevermore riff is so fucking satisfying.

Personally I like it for the access of the extended scale tones if I want them, or being able to use the low note of a chord inversion where I might use that same note but an octave higher, or something like that. I consider it a "tool" of sorts more than anything. But chunking away on a skull-crushing, low-Bb Nevermore riff is so fucking satisfying.

+1
playing something inverted powerchords on the B and E strings on the 7 just destroys. So heavy. ALso you get hella longer scalar runs for more position playing when soloing, and one extra string to play classical two handed tapped pieces like ronda alla turca

Why do u guys even bother to buy 7-string guitars if you don't even know how to play on 6-strings ?

No, being Meshuggah makes them good.

The number of strings available is already arbitrary. What's to stop him from just using five strings, if mastering six is better than seven? What's so fucking magical about six? I don't want to hear more Limp Bizkit wankery than anyone else, but if I had seven strings available earlier I would have learned about expanded voicings and displacement a lot quicker.

Jeff
Always trying to argue with me. :p Well obviously the less strings the easier it is to learn. When I was learning I tried learning on a 7 string, even took college courses with two amazing teachers. Their sentiments were exactly the same, learn a 6 string first. You want to argue with masters who have been playing for over 35 years go ahead. I still to this day am glad I went with a six string first. I know a ton of 7 string players who can't play their damn instrument. It would definitely be beneficial for him to learn a 6 string first. No doubt about it. Now if thats the only guitar available to him then thats a different story.

Always trying to argue with me. :p Well obviously the less strings the easier it is to learn. When I was learning I tried learning on a 7 string, even took college courses with two amazing teachers. Their sentiments were exactly the same, learn a 6 string first. You want to argue with masters who have been playing for over 35 years go ahead. I still to this day am glad I went with a six string first. I know a ton of 7 string players who can't play their damn instrument. It would definitely be beneficial for him to learn a 6 string first. No doubt about it. Now if thats the only guitar available to him then thats a different story.

The question is then 'why not five'? I know lots of 6 players who can't play, while six strings may be traditional it's entirely arbitrary when you get to it. I wouldn't say that fewer strings have to be easier to learn, as it increases the amount you can do with what you have learned and opens new doors for figuring things out on his own. I don't think that's a good blanket answer as it leaves out the way he learns and the stuff he's trying to do, which has yet to be said here.

[/seven-string babble]

Jeff

Why do u guys even bother to buy 7-string guitars if you don't even know how to play on 6-strings ?

we can play a six, and plus whats the difference, its just another b string, not like its gonna change anything. I fi had an 8 string i would get an 8 string, just means that i am gonna have more room to play, not a big difference

Seeing as how most 7-string players I know do in fact know how to play a 6-string, I don't see how this is valid. Again, I don't like the whole wave of 'look how low I am, cool, huh?' that has taken so long to die off, but the only reason more people play 6 is because 6 has been the standard for a long time - not because Jesus loves six, not because six strings are innately better than seven, just because it's what the last guy used.

Jeff

I hate how people say "I KNNOW CHORDS LEIK A, C, AND E!@!@" when it's not that at all. What you have to learn is how to build your own chords from scales so that you can play anything in any key at any octave, so long as it's possible. after that, all you need to memorize is your handy dandy scales, which I love. Diminished, ftw.