Guitar (pre)amps for studio use?

The Marshall JMP1 and the ADA MP-1 are different. They may be slightly similar depending on how you have them set but overall I wouldn't say they sound the same, I've owned a couple of modded MP-1s as well as stock ones, they are pretty good units. I will say the stock MP-1 is good for cleans and leads and more rock type of sounds, whereas the modified MP-1s can do more of a modern sound, better at high gain, etc. The MP-2 is also cool, has a modern sound to it, does a really good legitimate death metal sound as well. The Peavey Rockmaster is also cool as already discussed, does the Peavey sound.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, really appreciate it.

@cyril; I really wish you hadn't show me that, it's actually within my budget. Might contact him about shipping to Aus :D

@Revson and KillDivision; I have considered the old mesa pres, but they didn't really impress me all that much. After transformer conversion and shipping it'd probably cost more than a an E570 from ze germans :lol:

@Mindmunch and 006; The JMP1 was never much of an interest to me in the first place, but I have heard some really awesome results from modded MP1's. I'd prefer to go about that path by buying a stock one and getting it modded from there, but I'll be damned if there are any decent MP1 modders in Aus! Nearly bought a pre-modded Voodoo MP1 but got outbidded at the last minute.

@Brett; that looks like an utterly glorious setup, though I'm curious why you're selling it? I'd say shipping on that would be around $400-500 AUD insured. I imagine you're chasing something around the lines of 2500 euro minimum, so that's probably way off my budget.

Generall speaking, I'll probably end up GAS'ing and buy all of them eventually. Thinking I might go with the E530 to start with.

Yeah it's definitely a very expensive gear and very heavy. It does sound incredible though (it's like two dual rectifiers in stereo with extra channels from the Road King). I sell it because in all honesty I don't use it much (haven't in years) and need expensive monitors very badly.

Got a Rockmaster and E530 here. Both great units.

The Peavey isn't quite as modern sounding and is rawer. Has tons (way too much!) of gain and a quite flexible EQ. It's the pre I use live all the time. I don't like the clean on it much at all, very bland but I don't play with clean much so I'm happy! It's really a great sounding pre. Recently used it for a more 70's styled prog/heavy blues type thing live ( Deep Purple/Toto) and it sounded awesome at that too.

The Engl I've got here is my brothers and it sounds great. Quite a modern sounding unit and has a smooth distortion. The clean on it is also nice enough. It's not as flexible as the peavey with its range of distortion tones but its sounds great at what it does.

Also got a GSP1011 and a Hafler T2 pre here. The Gsp is actually a great pre, especially for live use and since the firmware got updated to have a better EQ and more models. I reckon its better than a pod and I would consider it a poor mans Axe FX. Doesn't do the slightly distorted tones that well but excels at the high gain saturated tones and the cleans on it are awesome. Sounds good and you can upload your own impulses onto it. Also has a really good effects section and sims alot of OD units too for boosts- couple of tubescreamers, boss units, digitech ones etc... A very underrated piece of kit, I'm very surprised alot more people aren't using them.

Both the Engl and Hafler are out of action t the minute- only the clean works on the hafler. Been like that since I got it as a result of a crappy postage job on behalf of the guy who sold it to me. The clean is bland enough but I've not heard the Od channel, its doesn't have a very flexible EQ - no mid control! But they can be had for cheap. Actually sounds great for clean bass tones, which is why I've not bothered getting it fixed yet, I use it too much.

I love the idea of getting a lot of pres for guitars. I definately want to pick up a Mesa studio pre at some stage. Would round out the selection nicely, as I've got a JCM 800 and Laney GH5OL covering the slightly more old school tones. Definately look into getting a nice tube power amp. Got a Marshall 9100 EL34 loaded beast here. 100 watts a side and it slays. The mesa 50/50's also seem really good but I've yet to play through one. I do wish someone made a simple affordable mono 50watter tube poweramp as almost every unit is stereo which works out great for live( me and my brother share the poweramp and house the 2 pre all together in 1 handy 5U rack) but really is overkill for the studio.