guitar pro

20Mg

when september comes
Aug 5, 2009
I really think its a good idea to have a guitar pro section.. for a place where we can share our knowledge. Granted that there are plenty of gp users on this forums ofcourse. There are so many short cuts in this software, its not even funny. Tho it takes abit of basic theory to navigate through. GP is a revolution for a newer generation.

I really think its a good idea to have a guitar pro section.. for a place where we can share our knowledge. Granted that there are plenty of gp users on this forums ofcourse. There are so many short cuts in this software, its not even funny. Tho it takes abit of basic theory to navigate through. GP is a revolution for a newer generation.

But this is not a Guitar Pro forum. So you will probably have more luck searching for a Guitar Pro forum on Google.

i swear im the only person in the universe who dislikes guitar pro
midi can make even the most well written shit sound cheesy and disgusting. haha

i swear im the only person in the universe who dislikes guitar pro
midi can make even the most well written shit sound cheesy and disgusting. haha

I hate guitar pro, i hate tabs, i hate midi(Unless used for it cheesyness ofc!). ;)
If you cant remember how to play a riff you just wrote, it probably sucks to hard, if you cant write a riff without sketching it down, you probably suck! :lol:

haha in all fairness theres some shit i wrote a while back that ive forgotten a couple of bits too but i could figure it all out by ear no problem *shrug*

This by no means substitute guitar playing itself. wat if you dont have a guitar handy? or you broke fingers? or you're on plane flying home. Its really handy that way. Good for practise with bands. I like the way its programmed to make you compose according to rules

It definitely help, i don´t like it, but a band we have at the studio brought all their songs in guitar pro and every member recorded their parts with the midi files as guide, tracking was supertight, i guess it can work for some stuff like this, but i rather play my guitar and record parts i like.

whats with all the GP hate? I have used it for years as a songwriting tool, as I can jam for hours and not be satisfied with what I am playing or have no clue how to start writing. Its great to be able to write out guitar parts, then structure out a song and get an idea of how it sounds with drums, bass and other junk before you are even done writing it, and know how it sounds before you start recording. For me its great because I can use theory to write something in my head that might have been over my skill, then I can practice it over and over with the tabs until I get it, so in a way it can help you skill out especially learning solos from other bands, the trainer is a pretty killer feature. Its also great when you write a song and you can make .pdf tabs to your band mates so they know how to play the song, without you needing to teach then yourself, that way they can learn at their own pace and you won't waste practice time teaching them. Its then great in the fact that if you wrote out drums, you can import that to a drum program like S2.0 and not have to program it again. And it makes multiple time signature and tempo changes easier since as soon as you import the midi to your DAW it will automatically set all the parameters for your click.

Yes midi sounds like shit, its cheesy, get over it, its a good writing tool, collaboration tool and a teaching tool.

This by no means substitute guitar playing itself. wat if you dont have a guitar handy? or you broke fingers? or you're on plane flying home. Its really handy that way. Good for practise with bands. I like the way its programmed to make you compose according to rules

This! When I broke my wrist, I wrote a couple of tracks while I coulnd;t play guitar. It served a good theory/songwriting practice and a good way to lean new material as a form of rehabilitation for my brain and my wrist.

I should note, GP is a hell of a lot faster and more stable than trying to midi sequence all instruments in your DAW and riff out guitar parts in your DAW, thing of it as a more efficient preproduction.

+1
Very usefull also for the producer, because he can "learn" the songs before the bands enter the studio. Ok, bands can do pre-production but if they don't know how to record, gp is usefull.
And it's also an easy way to write down ideas and to listen immediatelly how a song you have in mind could sound.

it reduces the preproduction checklist to. If a band comes in to the studio with the track in GP, random things like clicks and tempos don't have to be setup as you already have a template.

And as said, it great for outside people to learn the songs beforehand (thus saving even more time) or even having an idea, you can write it out and hear how it sounds because that is much quicker than actually setting up to record that instrument. Its a mock up simulator so that you can test ideas out before you fork out time and/or money to find that it was a waste. Thats why simulator programs exist, they are faster and are a lot cheaper in the long run to test out ideas. And many ideas you know what you want sound wise but can;t seem to figure out what notes to play, its the same as going over to a piano and trying to figure it out, maybe you hear the melody or idea in your head but can't find it, another tool to help you write it out and then listen back to see if it works with the rest of the band is really time efficient, cheap and helpful if not help you see your instrument in a new perspective.

but i just basically summed up XeS's post.

also its great if you're trying to write anything counterpoint-wise as maybe you couldn't visualize what is going on from the fretboard perspective, you can mock up and test some ideas in standard notation and then see what works so you know what to play, and that may help you see patterns on the fretboard that you may not have seen before.

If you can't figure it all out without an instrument, write it out (or, better, engrave it on carefully-lined stone tablets), and record every part (continuous takes only, lousy pinko degenerates...) in a matter of hours, clearly you have no place calling yourself a musician.

That nonsense aside, TuxGuitar handles GP files and is completely free... you have to grab another piece of software to handle sound playback, detailed in the installation guides you can find just about anywhere, but boo-fucking-hoo.

Jeff

Thewintersnow you summed up all my thoughts about GP :)

For me it's the best way to quickly write a song. I jam with my guitar, and when I get something, I write it, idem for the bass. Then I write the drums. I can write a drum part so fast that I prefer opening GP to write it and export its midi to my DAW project, instead of writing it in the Daw which takes too long for me. Then I adjust in the DAW, if my drumkit is more complicated than the standard midi one.

It's also the best way to train on hard parts for me ,just mute the solo, and use the tempo trainer.

And, best way to write with another writer in your band. I have a friend who likes GP too, and we are fucking efficient in songwriting together, because we can send to each other the file, add ideas, cut, edit, and send again, until almost done.

Of course, it's not the best tool for more groovy styles. But it's handy, and I feel that working both ways (reading, and by ear) is really helpfull.

the bassist of my band writes everything in guitar pro then sends me it.. i just extract the midi and import the drum tracks into superior, then record guitars to the drums!

Guitar Pro is awesome. I don´t know if you can mentally write down guitar, bass, drums and arrangements at the same time, while testing different tempos and, with the power of your mind, transfer all this information to another band member analyze your material and cotribute, and send it back to you with his almighty brain. I know I can´t. In fact, if I did all this tracking multiple takes or writting on dozens of music sheets by hand I would actually feel pretty dumb.

it is just efficient..helps me pen down what i'm thinking and then twist it to see what works in the context of the whole song..

Honestly there is absolutely no need for a GP subforum at all.

But, I love when a band comes to me with the GP files for their songs, it makes setting up the sessions so much easier. I've had drummers track to click and MIDI drums from GP files before with really tight results, guitarists too.

It's more than likely already been established, but while composing, you just know that if you can make it sound good on Guitar Pro, it'll sound fucking great when actually played. Thus I consider the horrible general midi sounds more a virtue than a vice of Guitar Pro.

alrite. how bout a stickied guitar pro thread then? which will contain tips n tricks, instruction, tutorial etc.