Guitar question

bodombeach321

New Metal Member
Jul 28, 2004
highlands ranch colorado
OK I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. I play metal and more melodic sped metal and arpeggios. What im lost is how to connect the modes. I understand the patter there on but don't get how to solo and switch modes and make it sound good and make it flow together. If you guys would help me out with this then that would be great. Or give me any ideas on what i should do.

Combine stuff togethor in the same key or melodic minor and listen to what sounds right when playing. Maybe record yourself doing different combos and listen to what you did over and over and then think hard about what you did. Then get fucked up and see if you can repeat the best stuff. And for the sake of all metal, have fun doing it!

maybe this will help:

all modes are within each other- and what I mean by that is that in every "pattern" or "scale shape" on the guitar (major or minor or dorian or whatever) all the modes are contained in that shape, it just depends on where you start.

For instance- if you play a major (ionian mode) scale, but instead of starting on the root you start on the second scale degree (example in C major start on D) you will be playing in the "D" dorian mode- just make sure you emphasize the right notes (D F A, root third fifth).

the same goes for any mode - the 6th of ionian will be the first note of aeolian. Fifth note of aeolian is phrygian, 7th note of phrygian is dorian, etc..
so you can switch between modes and stay within the same shape that streches across the neck..

does this help? if not, I probably don't understand the question...

of course, you have to play within your chord progression-- playing random modes will not sound right.

Well thats where I am i sometimes play random modes but there are all on the same pattern I just don't always know if I am at the right part of the scale and making sure that it sounds good. i understand like if you star with Ionian and go through to the 7th note your playing ionian if you go up by octaves.

You have to let the chord progression determine what mode you play in - modes relate directly to what chords are being played. If you have a strict minor progression use aeolian. If it's minor with a raised 6 use dorian, etc...Maybe I can help you more if I knew how much theory you know. Do you know how chords relate to major/minor scales?

Keep it simple!!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
It is not a question of mode. First know your tonality or Key. Second find the general mode which means ***major, minor or blues****. Rarely you will find yourself in a modal tonality (ionian, myxolidian, and the rest of it). Of course if you try to pick up some prog metal (like symphony x)...then it might be a modal tonality. Remember, don't mix the modal keys with the modes on guitar which should be called
positions.

Music is simple!

Maestro Pero :headbang:

http://maestropero.com