Theory question - Arpeggios

TinMan666

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
www.tintitaniumarchives.com
OK guys... lately I've been getting into playing some 7 string arpeggios... and it's a lot of fun. I definately want to continue in this direction.

The only problem is that so far I'm only really doing standard major and minor arpeggios... can anyone give me some ideas of some new ones to try?

So if you can tell me what something is called, and then what notes are in it (eg: root, 4th, 6th, whatever), that would be helpful.

Cheers!

Dave

Yeah I think it's possible. Some of the more old-school sort of players (Maiden etc) mostly play scales and licks based on scales, rather than arpeggios.

Personally I'm just getting back into playing after having a couple of years off, and I'm trying to push myself to learn some new stuff.

Just pick a few strange chords a play them note by note. Add a few 7th's to your minor chords, total chaos.

Try modes dude, go have a look, just arrange the modal scales so you can sweep them or something (i know it isn't 'exactly' an arpeggio, but it's the same deal...)

I was just about to say that turning modal scales into arpeggios would all end up as either a major or a minor arpeggio anyway.. but then I suddenly realised that there are things like the phrygian mode, where the 5th is flatted...

so that's given me something to go on anyway :)

So that would be: root note, minor third, flat fifth.

Locrian would be the same I guess.

That's a start anyway.

Hey!

Uhhmm.. just wanted to pop up and say that the phrygian mode does not have a lowered 5. That is what makes it different from locrian.

phyrgian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

Hey and if you want to play some seven string arpeggios.. (I don't play seven strings though) just play some chords you know.

min9 - A C E B

dom7sus4 - G C D F

One of my favorites and this is the root fifth position..

minb6 - D F A bB

Well enjoy dude!

Brandon

P.S. Theory is where it's at!!

if you're a bassist, you should know all kinds of arpeggios.

anyway. phrygian is aeolian *normal minor* with a flat 2nd. that's it. and all chords are gonna be major or minor, unless you use power chords. most of your arpegios have a major or minor tonality. root fifth arpeggios would be boring. and if you know your scales, or modes, than you know your arpeggios cuz they all come from scales. anyway. try sus2 and 4 areggios. they should cool. dominate 7ths are good too. (come out of your mixolydian). so if you were in the key of G major (which is e minor) then it would come out of your D mixolydian at the 10 posisiton.

Originally posted by The Wanderer
if you're a bassist, you should know all kinds of arpeggios.

i know arpeggios, i meant all that dom sus locrian phrygian stuff. as i cant afford a bass teacher i have to learn everything myself, so theory comes rather short... or that stuff has total different names in german :confused: ;)

btw @ tinny: on morpheus is a good video of yngwie malmsteen called arpeggios from hell where he shows some arpeggio playing. could be interesting for you!

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 6 years now, and up until about the past year have I actually buckled down and forced myself to actually progress beyond the punk rock stage of power chords and simple solos...

I'm starting to grasp the concept of scales and model changes (did I spell that right?) but, I would like some sort of definite chart and or video (like the Yngwie one mentioned above) that sort of starts at an intermediate level and then gets really intense?

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would rule supreme...

:headbang: :devil: :headbang: