Guitar question

Rupturemetal

I am rape-I am hate
Aug 25, 2006
Bama,U.S.A
What does a tone knob do? Does it only subtract tone from the pickup?I know this sounds stupid,but I recently picked up a guitar with just a volume pot. So does that mean the tone on the pickup is wide-open or.....?

It sounds like Caparison to me. If there to much highs with particular amp so you just can not rolloff highs.
I think that you just get what is delivered by pickups :)
My Caparison has one volume pot and boost/mid boost pot.
3 Charvel pots just give more options... (volume, tone and mid boost via EMG SPC).

the tone knob is pretty much a simple EQ or filter, more open more highs
if there's no tone pot i'd guess it would be wide open

the tone pot is essentially a roll off for the higher mids and lower highs when you roll it off you end up with a slightly thicker sound if theres no tone pot its just direct from the pickups to the input jack

The tone pot attenuates high end. Lower knob setting means more attenuation, or less high end remaining. You can calculate the rolloff frequency of a given pot very easily.

If there is no tone pot, or (as I do) you choose to disconnect the tone pot, there is no attenuation and you keep all of your high end.

Jeff

The tone pot attenuates high end. Lower knob setting means more attenuation, or less high end remaining. You can calculate the rolloff frequency of a given pot very easily.

If there is no tone pot, or (as I do) you choose to disconnect the tone pot, there is no attenuation and you keep all of your high end.

Jeff

Ya know JBroll for some reason I figured you would be the one to give me the concise answer I was seeking. Cheers