Guitar no tone no volume

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I know it's quite common to pull the tone pot out of your guitar, but on my last pickup replacement I pull out both the tone and the volume pots as I always have the volume pot up full anyway. So far I like it. I never have to check to make sure I haven't accidentally turned the vol down a little bit. Anyone else doing this?

i had it a while on one of my guitars.. because i thought the guitar sounded too dark and i blamed the electrics for it..but it wasnt the electrics and the sound had no significant change.. i use the volume pot alot so i wired it back in, but if you will never use the volume pot, then it makes sense at least for your home use.. so that you cannot accidently turn it down.. but for live-playing and in rehearsal.. i turn the volume pot completly down in the breaks, nothing is more annoying than feedback or noises during breaks.. ;)

my epiphone SG has a seymour duncan JB wired to volume knob and then to output jack. fuck tone controls...
the neck pickup is jsut for looks ;)

i had it a while on one of my guitars.. because i thought the guitar sounded too dark and i blamed the electrics for it..but it wasnt the electrics and the sound had no significant change.. i use the volume pot alot so i wired it back in, but if you will never use the volume pot, then it makes sense at least for your home use.. so that you cannot accidently turn it down.. but for live-playing and in rehearsal.. i turn the volume pot completly down in the breaks, nothing is more annoying than feedback or noises during breaks.. ;)

A good point. I don't do much live work these days. This reminds me of the first live show I did. The singer decided that he was playing a solo piece on an acoustic guitar so we all had to stop playing. When we got back to playing I accidentally only turned my volume up only a tiny bit. The FOH had no idea what was going on so they cranked me up. Me being a total dumbass turn the volume pot up full halfway through. I was loud. Really loud.

my epiphone SG has a seymour duncan JB wired to volume knob and then to output jack. fuck tone controls...
the neck pickup is jsut for looks ;)

haha not me, I love a good three way and my pickup selection is no exception.

I did this but built a momentary AND latching Killswitch pedal too (momentary for short silences in songs. Latching for inbetween songs and setup/tear downs).
Never looked back

I can't live without a volume knob. Its a weird mental thing, but for some reason I find it comforting to sort of "check" it right before a riff starts just to make sure its full on. I also use it as a kill switch during any part that requires more than about 2 seconds of silence.

I used to disconnect my tone knobs all the time, but for some reason quite recently I've been doing some leads and stuff with the tone all the way down for different sounds on my old schecter that still has the tone pot connected. Probably would never do it live but it definitely adds a useful color to the tonal palette every once in a while.

I did this but built a momentary AND latching Killswitch pedal too (momentary for short silences in songs. Latching for inbetween songs and setup/tear downs).
Never looked back

That sounds rad. Did you get the schematics from somewhere or just build it yourself?

I can't live without a volume knob. Its a weird mental thing, but for some reason I find it comforting to sort of "check" it right before a riff starts just to make sure its full on.

Yeah, that's exactly why I pulled the volume pot out in the first place. It's really weird at first, you'd be amazed how often you actually reach for it.

Lately I just have a polytune pedal in my chain when playing live, I just hit the pedal when I want silence, and I play bass so feedback/noise is not really an issue anyways. I did have a fuck up last show, when the guitarist started playing sweet child of mine, it was after a short break so I had the tuner on, and when the bass solo came in, I forgot to bypass the tuner and was mute, it kinda sucked hahaha

For me an on/off switch in place of the volume pot would be a minimum.

For me I like to control gain from the guitar from time to time but not often so i still need a volume pot but theres nothing stopping me from installing a toggle on/off switch as well now you come to mention it . I have one fitted on one of my basses which has come in useful when there are stops during noisy FX . I never bother with tone controls . Im one of those people that likes to keep things simple and tidy as possible .