question about pickup and pot wiring

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
ok, so i just switched out some emgs with seymour passive pickups. so now i'm switching out the 2 volume and 1 tone pots in the guitar that were 25k for some 500k pots. i've already installed one 500k for the bridge volume, with the other 25s still in there.

so, i go to test out the new pot just to make sure it still works. it gets full volume, but when i turn it all the way down, it still outputs half of the guitar signal. so it should have killed the guitar signal when i turned it off, but i'm still hearing the guitar. i was just wondering if i screwed something up or if this has to do with not having installed the other 500k pots for the other volume and tone pots?

any one who has experience with this i would greatly apprecate some help!:worship:

Make sure the pot is connected to ground. Usually in guitars, they're grounded on the actual casing of the pot itself and will have the 3rd lug soldered to the casing. You've gotta have that 3rd lug connected to ground somehow or it's not going to bleed any signal to ground.

ok, i noticed there is a small metal wire connecting the ground to the bottom of the pot. is there any kind of metal wire that works best for this connection? i think this is my problem.