Guitar recording and reamping

Helius

Jan 23, 2010
Ok so now I decided to buy my first real Tube Amp (Peavey 6505), but I have a few questions to you guys about recording and reamping. I already have an API 7600 preamp which I want to use for DI recording, as it has a really good sound. But I want to send the guitar signal at the same time to a real amp (of the musician) with cab and microphone, which I record alongside. After recording the "clean" signal I want to send it to the 6505 via a Maxon OD-9. I consider to connect a THD Hot Plate as load to the amp and record the output. In the DAW I want to run a cab impulse for simulating the cab. My question to you guys is, whether you think this could work. Am I right that I additionally need a splitter before the API 7600. Furthermore do I need a reamp box to send the recorded signal to the 6505? If I am right which boxes can I buy for splitting the signal and reamping the signal. Any suggestions would help.

A DI box is a pass thru. There is no need to split the signal to get it to the amp. You can record the DI and the amp at the same time. To reamp, you need a reamp box. Search this forum for reamping and I'm sure you'll get tons of results. Popular boxes are the Redeye, X-amp, and ProRMP.

Ah yes, I see. I didn't rememeber that I need no splitter, as I can send the recorded DI directly to the amp at the same time. Too stupid.

Right you shouldn't need a splitter - Just a DI box. A re-amp box isn't critical either. You can re-amp backwards through the DI with an XLR turnaround. Just lower the level coming back out of your DAW so as not to saturate the transformer. A lot of people prefer a re-amp box because they have a level trim, but if you don't want to spend extra on it, just use your DI.