Reamping question

muppfel

Dec 24, 2010
germany
Hi there, fellow sneapers!

I am going to record an album soon and I have some questions regarding reamping - I'd do it like this:

First, recording the guitar clean through a Focusrite Saffire 6. For reference while playing i'd use Amplitube or some other ampsim, but that doesn't really matter.
When everything is recorded and properly edited, I would plug the interface's output to the input of a 6505 and send the DI-track trough that. At the same time, I'd grab the send and record it to use impulses for simulating a cab. I'd leave a real cab plugged into the 6505 (but volume turned completely down) so it won't blow the tubes.

Would that work or is there some kind of error in that plan? I have never done this before and don't want to damage something :D

Cheers!

I definitely would not do it that way. Here is how I would do it:

1. Record your DI either through the instrument input on your interface or a DI Box
2. Set the DI track to an output.
3. Hook reamp box up to said output.
4. Hook other end of reamp box to guitar input on amplifier
5. Turn on amp and mic the cab.
6. Sit back and listen.

You can do it that way if you want, but you should get a reamp unit that will go between the interface output and the guitar amp input. The Radial ProRMP is good and I think one of the cheapest options that will give good results.

But ProRMP without modification will give shitty results due to significant gain reduction, which is more prominent if interface has low output level like 6 USB.
I`m thinking that reamper is more a tool of signal isolation to get rid of problems with ground loops, than a tool of emulation of pickup response. If ghetto (straight from interface) reamping has no noise or hum problems, than it will be OK, if there is need of isolation, than go for reamper...

At the same time, I'd grab the send and record it to use impulses for simulating a cab. I'd leave a real cab plugged into the 6505 (but volume turned completely down) so it won't blow the tubes.

I did this, but with volume up, because the cab was mic'd. I suppose it's ok, if the amp's send volume does not depend on the master volume.

But can anyone tell what would actually be better for the amp tubes - to have this setup with volume at 0 or to hook a loadbox?

You can do it that way if you want, but you should get a reamp unit that will go between the interface output and the guitar amp input. The Radial ProRMP is good and I think one of the cheapest options that will give good results.

Another one to check out is the Radial X-Amp. That's what i use and I think it works great.

IMO, you may as well just record the tracks thru the 6505, capturing either the preamp or FX out, and applying an impulse to it. you're talking about capturing a dry DI, then degrading it thru a reamping chain, when the only thing you'll be sending it thru is the preamp...and if you ask me, the whole advantage of reamping is that you get the power amp, cab, and mic tones that modelers/digital shit can't quite nail down yet.

edit: also, i may be wrong here, but i think that you won't be able to send a track thru the 6505 w/ the volume turned down. with my 6505+, turning down the master also turns down the level of the preamp and FX outputs, so you still have to turn that shit up to get it recorded!