quick question concerning head pre amp outs

Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys quick question... bit of a noob one haha but with guitar head like the 6505+... when it comes to reamping i have been using very low in levels as i have been using the speaker out... stupid me i then found out that the pre out was a much better option for speak sims... just wanting to know if i can run my head through the pre out into an amp sim without the actual cab plugged in? i have always known never to run the head without a cab attached and plugged but does it cancel the other out? and just route through the pre out? if not then is there any way i can run it without the cab ?

Not sure what you're asking exactly, but the short version is - amp with no cab on standby is fine, amp with no cab out of standby (in play mode) =

mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

:D

I do the same thing you do when i'm recording "live" demos with the full band. I just use the head as a DI Box while we play (then trigger drums and di bass, etc).

However, when you're recording but don't want any sound out of a cab, why not just use a real Direct Box? That's all the amp would be doing for ya...