Recording amp head direct

slaytah

Mar 14, 2012
Hi guys.

A mate of mine has got a Marshall JCM-900 amp head, 100w hi-gain dual reverb. I'm wanting to try some different recording techniques, and was wondering: How would I record through the amp head direct into my PC?

My usual recording chain is:

Instrument > Behringer Ultra-DI 100 > Behringer Multicom MDX4600 > Roland UA-25 EX > Cubase 5.

I got some good results earlier recording direct through my Marshall MG15, I connected the line out of the amp to an input on the MDX4600.

So how would I do the same with the 900 amp head?

Do I go from the Recording Compensated line out or the Direct line out?

Do I need to have the amp head connected to a cab? (He's got a 1x12 Marshall cab, not sure of the model) Can I just go direct from the amp head into the DI 100?

I've also read about having the amp on stand by to record through, would that work?

Your help would be much appreciated. I've searched the forums, but couldn't find anything specifically related to recording a 900 head direct.

Direct Out or FX Send. Usually the recording outs tend to "try" to simulate a speaker and fail miserably. Use an impulse loader and find some good speaker impulses. There are plenty of great free ones floating around the net.

Always have the amp connected to the cab.

And, yes - Google your question before starting a new thread. 75% of the time your Google search will lead you to this forum anyway. :lol:

I have looked at quite a few of them, but none of them involved using a 900 head. As I'm not familiar with that amp head, (amp heads in general actually) I was looking for confirmation of the points I was raising.

No worries, I'll take another look through the threads again.

Thanks anyway.

Direct Out or FX Send. Usually the recording outs tend to "try" to simulate a speaker and fail miserably. Use an impulse loader and find some good speaker impulses. There are plenty of great free ones floating around the net.

Always have the amp connected to the cab.

And, yes - Google your question before starting a new thread. 75% of the time your Google search will lead you to this forum anyway. :lol:

Thanks for that Bryan, looks like I posted just after you did.

And in future I promise to look on Google first! Even if it does send me back here...