guitar recording

theblackmoon

Casa Negra
May 15, 2006
Anyplace - World
www.myspace.com
Hi Neil,

how loud do you put the amps for guitar recording? Does it sound bigger and badder when it´s louder??? ´cause those cannibal corpse tones are just fantastic, but it does not sound like the cabinet is pushing that much air.

Thanks in advance!

Well the cab was definitely cranked. It was loud as fuck out in the recording room..haha. The cab had to be put onto thick carpet or it would probably have shaken and vibrated its own way out of the room had we not.

That being said there's definitely a point where cranking it louder ends up overloading the cabinet and making it "honk", usually on really low stuff. So we had it at a volume where that was not occurring at all but still kicked arse.

Thanks Neil!
I´ll try recording louder, see if it fits the tone.

BTW what mic you used on George vocals (I could not find out only by it´s visuals) I saw it on the Wretched Spawn DVD and it sounded perfect in his voice... just curious...

Thanks again for the reply!

Thanks very much for your interest. I don't currently need an assistant though as I've just recently taken one on. I'll be sure to let you know if an opening becomes available.

That's great. The assistant thing still happens in the US? You guys are always one-upping us, hahah.

I had to kind of claw my way into the engineering position and finally have bands asking to pay for my services.

NK said:
Thanks very much for your interest. I don't currently need an assistant though as I've just recently taken one on. I'll be sure to let you know if an opening becomes available.

My pleasure! It would be a lifetime experience to work with you!

Yeah Moonlapse, when you read books like "Behind The Glass" you see that most of those guys were assistants once. And made they way through. It´s nice you are already there!

Oh yeah, I understand that most of the current big names were all assistants once... but at least here in Australia the assistant thing just hasn't been happening lately. Studios in general barely have enough to keep their doors open, much less pay someone (even meagre amounts!) to go on food/coffee runs/clean and set up mics and lines.

I think the way most people do it here is by going to audio schools, establishing a portfolio/knowledge base there and heading out and going straight to the work.

I've sort of combined that approach with doing various volunteer jobs all over the place, so you tend to get to know as many people as possible. It seems to be working well enough.

Best of luck to you with your career. I hope you get that experience with Neil sometime down the track.. I'm sure it would be priceless.

Yep. I started as a teaboy at Trident in London. It's priceless experience really. I spent years waiting for my opportunity to engineer, learning all the time, and working with fantastic engineers and producers along the way.