recording guitars with differnt amp sounds

disschord

New Metal Member
May 19, 2008
essex
www.myspace.com
Hi we are about to start recording a few songs and wanted some advise. I have a peavey 6505 through a mesa rectifier cab and the other guitar uses a Riviera knucklehead through a mesa stileto cab but we both use emg active pickups.
Our guitar sounds are obviously quite different and we want to use our own gear.
Does anyone have any tips for recording amps that sound different like this.

If you quad track (as described in the post above) you guys are going to have to play really really tight and the difference will still be apparent in the tone though they will probably bleed together. Try recording each amp and panning one all left and one all right, it might not sound as bad as you think. I recorded a band once that had a Soldano and an Orange amp and panned the orange left and the soldano right and it sounded pretty cool. Personally though I would pick one amp to use for all the rhythm tones and one amp for the lead tones to keep some consistency. Hope that helps.

I would agree with the guys above the either doubling or quad recording the guitars will give you a really heavy sound, it will need to betight playing though to make sure it doesnt sound messy - Ive panned all 100 hard left and right, and also 2 tracks 100% pans and 2 75% on either side - just depends on how much of the stereo field you want to cover