Guitar Rig Tips?

malicedix

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2010
Anyone got any really good sounds out of Guitar Rig, or by mixing in general, to get a sound like Children of Bodom's guitars?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and I tried to search but it won't work for me for some reason. :kickass:

number 1 tip - try your best not to use it for high gain stuff, whereas cleans and rocky lower gain stuff and practice sessions its a fantastic little thing.

Nowadays I pretty much only use it for the tuner when recording DIs. The bass options are pretty good though!

What's the best option for mac? Since no free developer cares about us. :(

Revalver mkIII is your best bet for Mac.

Regarding Guitar Rig, as it's been said, in my experience it's really good for bass and more for rock music than it is for hi-gain stuff.
The cleans and effects are gorgeous though.

Yeah, Revalver is fantastic as far as commercial amp sims go, definitely head and shoulders above Guitar Rig 4 for heavy guitar. I'm certain with a bit of experimentation there could be some cool bass sounds too.

I think guitar rig is fucking awesome for bass. I use it for my bass signal chains all of the time.

It's also good if you take out the cab simulator and send it to an impulse.

Depends on the tones you're after really. Stick to free ampsims for the hi-gain stuff, or if you wanna splash out, Revalver mkIII or POD Farm are your best bet.
In saying that, I got a nice clone of the early Raging Speedhorn tone before with Guitar Rig, just a matter of using the best tool for the job really.

Yeah I pretty much use Guitar rig for clean sounds and effects these days... You can get some pretty good rock sounds as well but any metal sound is pretty rubbish for me.

I can get ok bass sounds but I need to get cash and go for the Ampeg SVX, unless anyone knows of any free bass ampsims that do the job!

I use TH1 on my mac, it's pretty fucking versatile. I mostly use TH1.

I'm yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it either.

The downside is that it costs about the same as Revalver, but I tried the Revalver demo before buying and I didn't really like it, some clean patches were fantastic but for the high gain stuff it's way too much tweaking for my tastes

Being a Gr3 owner I can tell you there are no good metal tones in it. There are some great rock / blues / clean tones to be had. The Nick Crowe (sp?) amp sims kick ass and there are amazing free VST's out there for High Gain. The trick is to really find a great IR to make it sound authentic. I quite like Catharsis Fredman IR's, some of the Redwire IR's are amazing, and my fave is the Ghandi 6l6 57 .5 in Recabinet!

I use TH1 on my mac, it's pretty fucking versatile. I mostly use TH1.

I'm yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it either.

The downside is that it costs about the same as Revalver, but I tried the Revalver demo before buying and I didn't really like it, some clean patches were fantastic but for the high gain stuff it's way too much tweaking for my tastes

Yeah, Revalver might be a bit more realistic but it takes some serious tweaking alright. Guitar Rig's interface makes it so simple to quickly put together a patch to get the tone you're looking for. Adding multiple effects in Revalver's a pain compared to Guitar Rig, nothing's organised the way I'd like it. Guitar Rig's tuner is defo better than Revalver's too.

So basically, there's pros and cons to everything. But just because Guitar Rig doesn't do high-gain tones well, it doesn't mean that everyone here should dismiss it!