Guitar routing + plugins

elsenator

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2011
I was wondering, is there a "right" way of routing and processing guitars for metal? Or a proven method. My current setup is this, but I am unsure if it's actually a good way of doing things.

Guitar L1 --> Bus1
Guitar R1 --> Bus1
Guitar L2 --> Bus2
Guitar R2 --> Bus2

Bus1 (Initial eq, both additive and subtractive) --> Bus3
Bus2 (Initial eq, both additive and subtractive) --> Bus3

Bus3 --> (Finalizing eq, both additive and subtractive) --> (Multiband comp, to control lows, highs untouched)

All plugins on Bus 1, 2 and 3 are of course stereo capable. I have guitars panned either 100% og about 80%.

EDIT: Oh, and I should note that I have Guitar 1 as the "lead" guitar, eq'et to have less lows, taking care of the few melodies I have in there (most of the time it plays the same as guitar 2 though). Guitar 2 is mostly rhythm and eq'et to have more lows.

My setup is identical. But I usually have 4 tracks for rhythms. Let's say 2 SM57 tracks and 2 any other mic tracks. I send different mics to different busses and then gather both busses on a 3rd bus. Same for lead and solos.

Yeah, I think I might do that too, I mean, use dual mics for my next recording session. I will then let the sm57's handle the highs and use a t.bone RB500 for the lows. And use the setup you describe. It should give me a fuller sound I believe.

Just one bus, never really need more than 2 eq's. and if there's a lead that needs extra eq just do it on the individual track.

Why do you route all the guitar tracks to a single multiband comp? If you start palm mutting in one track, then all the others (including the leads) will get compressed too, right?