guitar signal to strong?

espjunkie

Apr 6, 2009
Portland Oregon
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and I have just been lurking around but everything I've read on here has been very helpful, so hopefully I can get this little problem fixed.

I have a line 6 UX-1 and I just pretty much use that as a DI box for my guitar. but when i plug into it, the signal is way to strong. My unprocessed guitar tone is already clipping up in the reds. Im not quite sure what to do about this because when I add effects and stuff, it gets even worse. How would I go about lowering the output level that my DI box produces so it doesn't clip? theres only 2 knobs on the UX-1; an output and a mic gain. The DAW im using a reaper and the guitar im using is an esp ltd ec-1000 emg 81-60. Any help would be appreciated :D thanks guys

erm turn down everything, the ux1's output, the monitor output, the hardware output, the virtual amp output and make sure your compressor / s are off in toneport.

otherwise i cant understand why its clipping because the input should be to a balanced volume. if a signal too hot comes it the toneport will automatically shut off and you'll have to unplug it and replug it to get the sound working again

post a pic of the clipped waveform from your DAW...

if the waveform eats up all the headroom in the track and is squared off because of it, then it's clipping on the preamp or converter input

if the waveform is squared off but there's still plenty of headroom on the track above its highest level, then its the output of the EMG's that's clipping. this is pretty common with active pickups, and the only thing you can do to relieve it is to lower the pickup height - but even then, there's no guarantee that the clipping will stop...it's sort of their thing. it's why the EMG's sound so balls-to-the-wall-in-your-face, but lack the dynamics of most passives.