Guitar strings prefrence?

Best? Subjective.

Personal preference.

I use d'addarios... I have too many guitars, so I'm not really so choosy... whatever I can get the best price on.

I've been using GHS boomers for the longest time. They used to be the cheapest but would also sound really good. I'm not into detuning and all that anymore, so I usually go with 009-042 or 009-046.

I one of my bands, I used to mix and match strings from different sets. I think I had .052 for the thickest. However, it wasn't really worth all the trouble and expense, IMO. If you really can play, you can also sound damn heavy without detuning.

I don't have very much experience with different strings, but I use Gibson Flat Wires (.011-.051) at the moment, and I think they are really good.
About which gauge to use: well, I would say thats more a question of personal likings and maybe the tuning you play in.

I'm a shitty guitarist, so my opinion probably isn't worth a lot :)lol: ), but I've tried a few different kinds of strings to test them out, and most new strings I've put on sound just as dead as the ones I just took off..... Except for one. DR's. I use 10's. A fresh set of those absoluetely roars. The fifths and crunches just sound a thousand times sharper and cleaner. Goes away after a few days, but... eh... I like 'em.

Well I use Dean Markley Blue Steel 8-38 they are very thin and elastic but very strong too, stronger than d'addario : i used to braek a lot playing them but since i bought Blue steel i break less and in my country they are cheaper than d'addario

I've used almost every kind of string out there, and my favorite -by far- is the Elixer strings. They run about 5 to 10 dollars more than your D'addario's or other standard strings, but they last considerably longer and have a cleaner tone, feel and are smoother with slides thanks to their polyweb coat. Anyway, if you try em, I hope you like em, if not, Rock On regardless bud \m/

So - opinions vary! 'Magine that! GHS Boomers is what I like or if I'm broke, whatever is cheapest. You can find deals at big music store chains.
Basilisk - You must have a dead ear if you can't tell the difference in sound between old strings and new strings, unless you change 'em once a week or more often. They definitely feel different to me.

my ibanez is tuned to B and my fender is tuned to E, im buying a ran custom guitar later on this year and i will be tuning it to D, what strings do people think i should use?

Originally posted by Mr.Painkiller
They run about 5 to 10 dollars more than your D'addario's

Geez... I get 10 packs of D'Addarios for $30 out the door at Guitar Center...

5-10 dollars more per pack? That's certainly not worth it, especially since I've got like a dozen guitars...

Just wipe your strings down after use, and they should be good for a few weeks or more...

leper: depends on what you like. heavy tension, less tension.....
I have a Warlock tuned to D with 11s on it. 10s work fine, too but have less tension (depends on what you like more).
for E-tuning I would recomend to use 9s or 10s. for B 12s or heavier (my second guitar is tuned to C with 12s)

It really depends on what feels good for you. if you hit your strings pretty hard, you should use heavier strings, if you are a "softer" player, you can even play in C with 9s (I did it some time ago and it works if you can handle it)

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's...they have given me the best sound I've heard so far. However, I also just bought a FUCKING 20 DOLLARS PER PACK set of Elixir for my acoustic, just to try them out. Wow, they are the smoothest and fastest strings I've ever played. Maybe if they are cheaper for electrics, I'll get some for my electric. Also, I'm tuned to C right now with 9s, and it's not too bad. I have a little more slack than I'm used to with E tuning, but nothing really too significant. I still play really fast and thrashy with it, but any lower than C with 9s and I won't be able to play any faster or better than those Korn pussies.

They're OK, but nothing to write home about. I don't have any other strings right now besides 9's, so it's all I have. I can deal with it, but I definitely need to go up a gauge or two. It's playable, but not ideal. I think I purposely make everything harder for me, because when I go back to my normal style of playing, I realize that I've improved by leaps and bounds. In other words, I won't play anything that I can play right off the bat. I purposely play things that are difficult, and then as I get better, things that aren't so difficult come with the greatest of ease. At first, I thought it might give me bad habits, but I just follow the basics and really focus on the task at hand. Fortunately, I haven't developed any bad habits, and it has helped my playing tremendously. I guess I lucked out.

I'm thinking about getting a B.C. Rich Jr. V. Any thoughts?