Guitar strings prefrence?

I swear by Ernie Ball Power Slinky's. Everything else is way too thin for me. I'm a Rhythm player, so I need my lower strings chunky. I tried EB's Hybrid Slinkys and the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, but I dont like having my highest strings so thin. They go out of tune too fast if theyre thin. Plus, I read years ago that SRV used the heaviest string gauge he could find (13's!!) just to build his strength and get a real meaty sound out of his bends, and I'll tell you what-he knew what the fuck he was talking about. I hate thin strings....just too...(pardon the term) slinky for me.

Heavy strings really translate well for thicker Metal sounds, and it's nice having the strength training too, although if you quickly switch to a guitar with a lighter gauge and start bending, it can get out of control pretty quick!! LOL!! But, yeah, that's the way to go in my eyes. Thicker sound, stronger hands, fingers, and wrists, and I havent broken a string since switching to the Power Slinkys a couple years ago. Not bad either, since I tune to D and shake the living fuck out of my strings (Zakky is my hero), and I use a lot of BM trem picking too. Anyway, I'm blabbing.

I agree whole-heartedly. I think I've tried every major brand out there, and James Hetfield really knows what the fuck he's talking about by using EBs. I was using Dean Markleys for the longest time, and I put a new set of them on my Jackson Kelly Pro Star when I got it, and it sounded too weak. I took those off, went and bought 30 dollars worth of EBs and have been shaking my walls ever since. Shit, the 9 gauge are heavy as fuck, I can only imagine going up a notch or two! There's no better sound in the world than ripping into your guitar with a good set of strings. I'm more of a rhythm player as well. They're tough as hell too...never broken one single string, and I am pretty mean to them. I usually only change them when I have to literally knock the rust off of them from my sweat LOL!!!!!

One thing that I imagine would be to your benefit by using thin strings for low tunings, is that you'll have to be very gentle in your playing technique, or you'll be out of tune - so it might be good just for practice. :p

I've noticed a big improvement in my technique since I learnt to relax my hands - I used to use a lot of force in the past.

How ironic...as soon as I posted that message, my top string broke while playing The Four Horsemen. I better start knocking on wood when I make those kinds of statements.....LOL!!!

i'm a bass player and use rotosound swing bass strings on my main two basses (a warwick and a tanglewood warwick copy). 45-105 i think. i change strings once every 6 months. how often do other bassists change theirs? i've also got a set of 5 year old swing bass 40-100s on my old precision, nice for jazzy things. it sounds more like a double bass to be honest cause the strings are so old!

I have been using EB's for a long time. Tried a few other brands along the way but haven't really liked any of them as much as the EB's...
I play in D and depending on the scale of the neck on my guitars I've used Hybrid Slinkys on my Les Paul ( 24 3/4 " scale ) and the standard .010 set for my telecaster ( 25 1/2" scale ).

After reading THIS ARTICLE however I have changed my views on strings and I've just begun trying out the Ernie Ball 2210 Extra Light w/Wound 3rd (10-50)

I learned a lot by reading that article and recommend it to everyone who like to know a bit more about intonation and how/why strings behave as they do...

For my basses I've started to use Rotosounds RB45s, 45-105.
I like the Elixirs too, but they cost too much. I have a set on my soundgear and it's sweet.

I string up my guitars with Dean Markleys .009s