strings

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
When I play, I usually play thrash/speed metal, and consequently my hands sweat alot. I think this has caused my strings to corrode and rust very quickly...is there a remedy such as a different type of string or just change your strings every few weeks? You can't help sweating when playing old Metallica speed metal.

I'm currently using Dean Markley LT strings....maybe go up to a heavier string like an F150? Other than that, I guess I'll just have to keep changing strings every couple of weeks.

Elixir string last MUCH, MUCH longer than any other string. They also cost more. They are coated with something that makes them last longer and play a lot faster. They sound AWESOME.

I always wipe my strings (especially at the bridge) after I play. Even if I play for only a few minutes. Also try washing your hands right before you play. That is probably a good habit to get into.

Heavier strings will help a little, but I'd higly recommend Elixir's.

Heavier gauge strings won't help.

I don't use string lubricant... it can build up on your fretboard.

Try wiping your strings down with a clean cloth after you play.

I'll just reiterate the whole washing your hands thing.. I used to not do that and my strings would die in a matter of days sometimes.. but now they may last as long as a few weeks depending on how much I'm playing, and I'm just like you, play a lot of older metallica, recently been trying to learn some Children of Bodom.. so I play faster stuff that wastes the strings. I use Ernie Ball's, but I don't think they're the best... just haven't had the money to try Elixers yet.

i play ernie ball slinky pinky hybrid strings and imo they are quite longlasting. i also wipe my strings quite often.

i recently started to wear light leather gloves (the kind you use for driving, those without fingers) and they collect a whole big part of sweat. and your palm doesnt stick anymore to the bass due to the sweat.

Just wipe em down. That will solve the majority of your problems. But if you play alot, they are going to get crappy fast. 60 hrs on a set of strings is a lot of play. Some people do that in 2 months, some in 2 weeks. (BTW, every manual I've ever seen that came w/ a guitar recommends changing every 20 hrs.)

you just need to replace them when the sound becomes crap or the strings get real worn off so you can play longer than 60hrs mostly. at least it's like that with bass strings, no idea about guitar strings though!

Are you using stainless or nickel? Nickel sounds better, but for such a shorter period of time I just use stainless....

The Blue Steel are supposed to be pretty resilient, but my sweat/finger gunk isn't too acidic, so I just use D'Addarios...

Last about 15 hrs of playing... I HATE dead strings and will change them before they've fully died though.

Some people don't like strings till they're dead. :guh:

Originally posted by DarkNoise

Our bassist is that way, but surprisingly his bass sounds really good when the strings go dead. New strings sound kinda tinny for some reason on his bass. It's a fun one to play though.

Yeah, that's funny... I like my bass with either sparkling new strings or flat as corroded dead ones... dunno why.

:lol:

It's funny - I always hated the sound of new strings, and would keep the old ones on until one of them broke (usually the low E, snapping at the bridge saddle). =) Y'see, I always played rhythm only, and it wasn't until the strings were completely dead that I'd get the right "chugging" sound when doing aggressive muted riffing (which I did a lot).

That changed a bit since I started doing solos, and I learnt to appreciate the "singing" qualities of fresh strings. For rhythm though, I still feel that old strings are better - new strings ring out too long (even when muted), and in rhythm playing this turns into an awful droning noise that makes you sound untight.

As for brands, once I tried GHS Boomers I felt like I was "home". It's just no-frills nickel plated, roundwound strings. The worst strings I ever had on was probably "Fender Bronze". *pukes*

/Sun'

Ah, for guitar, I just love the sound of new strings, and if I could afford changing strings on a dozen guitars twice a month, I prolly would... :lol:

"...is there a remedy such as a different type of string or just change your strings every few weeks? "

every FEW WEEKS??!!!

damn snoop doggy dog better get himself a jobby job

I change mine every 10 to 12 hours of playing, and I buy Everly strings by the box (cheaper).
once in awhile I wipe the guitar down, but I kind of like it to stink a little!