Guitar suitable for metal

nissan

Sep 3, 2005
I'm looking to get a guitar (probably tomorrow) and I'm looking for a guitar with a nasty tone (I've already got my amp and pedal.)

Anyways, I've been looking at this one guitar - AXL Mayhem Wavepoint.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.axlguitars.com/index.php?id=1196

and a review:

http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=167

Anyways, I was wondering, are there any guitar brands/models out there that are infamous for suiting the metal genre. I want something that is suitable (sound-wise, action-wise, feature-wise) for metal...

I already know to stay away from floyd rose (too hard, plus I want to change my tuning with ease.) What else should I look for? Any features that make palm muting, alternate picking, tremoloing - or any other common techniques - easier? Basically, any tips from you guys that have played a lot of guitars? What else should I look for (feature-wise), and what should I avoid?

Thank you very much.

well i dont have a ton of experiance,i play bass, but i know people who do, i know you cant go wrong with a schecter, three of my freinds have em and they all have realy good action, sound, and looks, also very relyable. they also very in price range. but i know ibanez are exelent too, may also want to look at some ibanez.

my best advise is to find as around 5 guitars you realy like from differand brands, go to the store and see what you like best.
Any major guitar company will be fine, its just about preferance.

Aye, Schecters are great. I've never liked the idea of a toothpick thin neck with Ibanez, but if you're really looking from great tone, I'd spend more money on a good amp since 90% of tone comes from your amp.

Ibanez, I've tried several things, my old Jackson Warrior is killer for rythems on extreme metal, but the Ibanezs I have will do all things just fine.

No Necrofaggot sucks. Most metalcore players use ESP and Schecters (Still great guitars)

Ibanez, I've tried several things, my old Jackson Warrior is killer for rythems on extreme metal, but the Ibanezs I have will do all things just fine.

No Necrofaggot sucks. Most metalcore players use ESP and Schecters (Still great guitars)

Fuck you...

...in the ass :mad:

But yeah, ESP, Ibanez and Jackson are the most renound for metal but of course that shouldn't stop you from getting a gibson or fender etc.

Sound wise you should be ok with just about anything with a humbucker in the bridge. I'd recomend getting a nice second hand axe cos you'll end up with a way better guitar that way for the same money. Most of the good brands associated with metal have been mentioned - Ibanez,Jackson,Esp,Schecter,Dean,Washburn. I'd recommend staying away from Bc.Rich as almost everything they make these days is not worth what you'll pay for it.

I'd say it depends on what kind of sound you want. Shredding and such, jackson and ESP are really good, but for a nice heavy, thick sound gibsons are also good. A
Anyways, I'm thinking about getting a PRS SE Standard and mounting a seymour duncan LW-HMET livewire metal on the bridge, anyone have opinions or thoughts on this?

You can get alot of different guitars to sound good for metal.. but with some it would take far more tweaking with effects units and all the rest.. but if (which it seems in your case) you want a good tone without much extra equipment, then Ibanez can sound great, so can Jackson, and ESP.. there are quite a lot..

it depends what you mean by 'nasty'.

you can even get some quite 'unknown' brands to sound 'nasty'.. take Karl Sanders and his KXK for an example.

..If you dont know too much, you could just try finding out what guitars you're favourite bands use (or favourite tones that you've heard use).. and start from there...