Guitar Tech question

rabies

Proud IMG Guitarist!
Apr 16, 2001
Maryland USA
Visit site
So I recieved the Ibanez 7-string yesterday. It looks great, plays great..BUT

The low B string has a very strange buzz. It did not buzz at first, but after it was properly tuned..it started to buzz when I hit it open. As I played more, it buzzed worse..and then started buzzing both open and fretted.

I can't find the source of the buzz. When I use the whammy to pull up or down (change the pitch) the buzz goes away. It is the only string that buzzes. I'd like to try to identify and fix the problem myself rather than go through the hassle of callign customer service and getting it repaired/replaced.

Anybody have any ideas? I've never had a buzz problem quite like this one. Its a hideous buzz too.

Hi Rabies
Not sure it I can be of some help here. On my 6 string bass, my bottom B string would also buzz. I had to raise the string off the fret board quite a bit higher then the other strings and the buzz from the string hitting the fret board went away.

Hope it works out for you.
take care
Constantine

That string will be more liable to buzz than any other, naturally.

Maybe I'd try putting a capo on the first fret and then fretting a note on the 12th to use the string as a straightedge to see if there are any frets that are out of line (height-wise) with the others. If not, and the other strings' action is good (indicating that there's no bow or back-bow in the neck), then you probably will need to adjust the action of that string up, like Constantine mentioned.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it works out! :)

The buzz happened after you tuned it? Maybe the tremelo system needs more tension on the springs to compensate for a higher string tension.

Ok, I'm by no means a guitar tech. But this just occured to me as I read the initial post: It goes away when you pull up?
Usually, when you pull up, the strings on a guitar get closer to the fretboard and the chances of fret buzz must increase.
If it's going when you do an up-pull and a dive, do you think it could be something on the bridge unit making that noise?
Maybe those torque bushes need replacing or something simple like that. But I suppose that'd be too easy.

Yes..it goes away when I pull up, or push down..but does NOT go away when I fret. Its the wierdest freaking buzz I ever had on a guitar. Now I don't know if I should just return it and get it replaced (I have 30-day return policy) or try to get to the bottom of it. It plays like a dream..except for that buzz.

It'd be a shame to have to send it back.
If it's the weirdest buzz you've heard, maybe it isn't fret buzz.
Why don't you try holding the bridge unit with your left hand and plucking the the low B with your right, to see if it's something on there that's vibrating. Just an idea.

Good luck, anyhow.