Guitar tone help please

Sounds much better, really nice job!

What exactly did you do to it?

Thanks!

lol long story on the changes....

-Cut more mids in ~460 Hz range on master bus (~1.86 octave band)
-Turned boost pedal plugin on in front of Lepou's amp sim for rhythm tracks
-Turned Bass down on amp plugin
-Turned mids down on amp plugin
-Turned Highs up on amp plugin
-Cut literally like 6 or 7 more super annoying "whistling" frequencies (in the 2-5kHz range) on master bus
-Boosted high-end ~3db with eq in Ozone (High Shelf)
-took out some of my previous eq cuts on solo track, they were causing it to sound thin

If getting guitars to sound reasonable takes this much work, I'm far beyond impressed by how consistently some of you produce immaculate tones. I do have a feeling that you guys aren't having to come back from as much of a deficit as I am though :lol:

I need to post a picture of my master bus eq, you guys will get a kick out of it for sure.

the new version (I think it's MUCH better) - **WARNING- The new clip isn't as loud as the first version, don't let that skew your perception

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=589238&songID=7502039

Now, I know this still doesn't touch a lot of the guitar tones on this forum, but I have to give myself some credit cause this is what it sounds like with no EQ plugins LOL -

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=589238&songID=7502107

Either EMG-85 in the bridge is a terrible idea for recording, or the audiofire has an awful DI circuit. I'm going to go with EMG-85 sucking in the bridge for recording because every time I record with it, even through a mic'd amp, I have to EQ like a mad man to get reasonable tones.

Edit: Still isn't satisfactory......11db of wide band eq in the midrange and 9 narrow cuts in the high-mid/high-end to get rid of nasty "whistling" frequencies and I realize that "fixing it in the mix" is BS. I need to start over (WITHOUT an EMG-85). Never again am I going to record guitars with a freakin 85 in the bridge.

I really don't think the 85 is the problem. A lot of bands have used the 85 for their albums and had great guitar tones..... that Killswitch Engage The End of Heartache tone so many people love so much was an 85 in the bridge...

Thanks!

lol long story on the changes....

-Cut more mids in ~460 Hz range on master bus (~1.86 octave band)
-Turned boost pedal plugin on in front of Lepou's amp sim for rhythm tracks
-Turned Bass down on amp plugin
-Turned mids down on amp plugin
-Turned Highs up on amp plugin
-Cut literally like 6 or 7 more super annoying "whistling" frequencies (in the 2-5kHz range) on master bus
-Boosted high-end ~3db with eq in Ozone (High Shelf)
-took out some of my previous eq cuts on solo track, they were causing it to sound thin

If getting guitars to sound reasonable takes this much work, I'm far beyond impressed by how consistently some of you produce immaculate tones. I do have a feeling that you guys aren't having to come back from as much of a deficit as I am though :lol:

I need to post a picture of my master bus eq, you guys will get a kick out of it for sure.

I'm probably just a lazy, useless fucker...but once I find an amazing tone I just save the exact EQing with voxengo curveEQ, and I can just apply the exact same EQ curve to other tracks I make.